Coffee scoops and coffee makers

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #91  
As a person that has never had a cup of coffee I find this thread very interesting.

I was in Berkeley California yesterday helping a friend and I swear every block has a coffee shop and many several and they all had plenty of patrons on a cool rainy morning...

One had a lot on laptops and another in conversation... another was a reading room and several were bakeries and coffee and another coffee and gifts plus each had a special tag like sustainable, community based, human rights, etc...

None of the shops I walked past were chains... just mostly hole in the wall independents...

Maybe I'm missing out but hard to miss what you don't know!

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #92  
When I put the amount of coffee I like in my Mr. Coffee it always gets grounds in it.
If you get Bunn extra tall filters that won’t happen. They are just a little bit taller. I still usually don’t make the full 12 cups but make 11 or a little less cups.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #93  
   / Coffee scoops and coffee makers #94  
I buy coffee beans from Amazon, burr grinder and a 5 cup Mr Coffee. I weigh my coffee, I use 36 grams of coffee, which gives me two mugs of coffee and I only drink coffee in the morning.

I change the weight and grind once in a while for a change of pace.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #95  
I buy coffee beans from Amazon, burr grinder and a 5 cup Mr Coffee. I weigh my coffee, I use 36 grams of coffee, which gives me two mugs of coffee and I only drink coffee in the morning.

I change the weight and grind once in a while for a change of pace.
Nice! But what beans are you getting from Amazon?

I use La Colombe for most of my beans, rotating between their Monaco, Rouge, and Nizza medium roasts. Their "medium" is more like "medium-dark" for most roasters, and esp. their Monaco really hits my sweet spot. The 12 oz bags make 24 double shots, which is about what I consume in a week, so it stays pretty fresh when bought in that size bag.

Some like consuming their beans within a few days of roasting, others claim the opposite, that the beans must rest and outgas close to a week after roasting before use. I don't really get caught up in all of that, since it's not a factor I can control, when buying already roasted.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #96  
Nice! But what beans are you getting from Amazon?

I use La Colombe for most of my beans, rotating between their Monaco, Rouge, and Nizza medium roasts. Their "medium" is more like "medium-dark" for most roasters, and esp. their Monaco really hits my sweet spot. The 12 oz bags make 24 double shots, which is about what I consume in a week, so it stays pretty fresh when bought in that size bag.

Some like consuming their beans within a few days of roasting, others claim the opposite, that the beans must rest and outgas close to a week after roasting before use. I don't really get caught up in all of that, since it's not a factor I can control, when buying already roasted.
San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser. It's not too bad, years ago I had a great coffee, but I'm too old to remember what it was.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #97  
I'm sitting here enjoying my second cortado of the morning and I'm definitely caught up in "all of that". I like to wait at least three days before I start using the coffee I've roasted. I try to schedule roasting so that I roast a new batch the same day I start to use beans roasted three or four days earlier. I only like a little acid in my coffee so I want most of the carbon dioxide to gas off before grinding. I made my own vacuum jars with one-way valves and use a hand pump to evacuate as much air as possible to aid in the outgassing process. I notice a significant difference in acidity based on number of days allowed for outgassing, at least early on.

The whole crema thing is interesting. There are some cheaper machines that will generate fake crema to give the appearance of fresher coffee. Real crema comes from carbon dioxide in the beans, and it makes carbonic acid as it interacts with the water. The more natural crema the fresher the coffee.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #98  
I roasted some Guatemalan beans this evening. There's Costa Rican beans on the left, which when morning rolls around will have been roasted four days ago.

Costa Rica & Guatemala.jpg

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #99  
Weird, I never knew before, that I could smell through a computer monitor.