Toplink Choosing an toplink length

/ Choosing an toplink length #1  

jnjpream

Gold Member
Tractor
BX22
I'm gathering up info to make a bill of materials for my top and tilt, and ran into a one or the other situation for top-link cylinders and need some experienced input..

I have a BX22 and the stock top-link range is 14.25" to 22" (7.75" travel). If I level out my KK box blade (based on the side of the box, with the blade on the garage floor) the top-link length is 18.5" which is just close to center.

Cylinder #1 is 1.5" x 8" x 1" w/ a retracted length of 15.25" (1" longer than stock).

Cylinder #2 is 1.5" x 6" x 1" w/ a retracted length of 13.25" (1" shorter than stock).

So the question is it better to have 6" which is 1" shorter than stock at it's shortest, or an 8" which is 1" longer than stock at it's shortest? Where is the top-link most commonly set, forward of center or rear of center?

/ Choosing an toplink length #2  
thinking of how i use my top link the only times i shorten mine up all the way is when im useing either my rear blade or my brush hog.

either one would be fine if it was 1" longer (in shortness)

on the other hand there are a couple of times when i wish i had more length when working the box blade and rear blade.

in short my vote is for an inch longer in longness (ie the longer of the 2)

/ Choosing an toplink length #3  
If your getting a toplink from ccm they will be able to help you when ordering.

/ Choosing an toplink length #4  
You definitely need to know what implements you're going to use most often. I built my toplink to the short end of my specs. and it has worked great for me. I mainly use my boxblade & cutter and both are used with a shorter link more than long. But... I used the 8" stroke cyl. and cut the rod down to the exact length I wanted. I'm not sure the 6" would have worked so well, on rare occasions I like to tilt my boxblade way back to ride the rear blade, or if backing the cutter off into a ditch to catch the bank - letting the tail down to get a good cut. With my PHD I don't use a toplink and with my plow I have to use an extra long manual toplink, much longer than the original link. My middlebuster plow uses a fairly short link too, so the hyd. link works fine there.

/ Choosing an toplink length #5  
As indicated above, consider all implements before deciding what length cylinder to get. One additional suggestion I can add; think down the road as to whether you're going to get a quick hitch system of any kind. They typically move the attachment point back 3 or more inches. If one of those might be in your future, get the longer cylinder.

//greg//