Changing Transmission Filter Question

/ Changing Transmission Filter Question #1  

seethesun

Tractor
N/A
Hi,

I have a Ferris IS700Z and I'm changing the transmission filters for the first time. I'm to the point of refilling but it has hex head vent caps and I cannot get them off. I've snapped two allen wrenches and there is not enough space to fit a hex socket + rachet. I've also tried penetrating oil. Not sure I can get (or want to get) a torch under there.

Without the vents open, I put some oil in the reservoirs and it took a while, but they went down. Not enough yet and there will be air still in the system.

The end of the procedure is to move the lever controls to purge the air.

I found videos but didn't get a clear answer. I assume under normal circumstances you would have the vent closed before doing this. Meaning the air would rise into the reservoir? Then I could open the lid to release any pressure, then do it all over again until the air is fully purged. I imagine it would take longer than normal because so much air would be in there versus using the vent, but would it work?

Last edited:
   / Changing Transmission Filter Question #2  
I did it that way in the off months one time on my Simplicity ZT2500 with the ZT-2800 trans in it. It took MONTHS to fill them up using the reservoirs on the top. It would "blurp" the oil and air bubbles every so often. It was a terrible way to complete that job. It eventually filled them after maybe three months of playing around with it that way. No way would I do it again. And yes, on my Simplicity there's "junk" in the way of that cap but you gotta get it out to do the job IMO. The second time I replaced the trans oil and filter that's what i did. Took them out no matter the PIA it was. And went much faster. And YES it's a giant size hex wrench. I believe it was metric as well.

/ Changing Transmission Filter Question #3  
I found videos but didn't get a clear answer. I assume under normal circumstances you would have the vent closed before doing this. Meaning the air would rise into the reservoir? Then I could open the lid to release any pressure, then do it all over again until the air is fully purged. I imagine it would take longer than normal because so much air would be in there versus using the vent, but would it work?
There are videos on Hydro-Gear's site. Are these the videos you are referring to?
They (Hydro-Gear) make a venting filler plug to fill the transmissions w/o a tank. Maybe one of those would be useful???
According to the web site they are included in the service kits and can be used on the tank or tankless models.