Change oil in fall or spring?

/ Change oil in fall or spring? #1  

dgermann

Tractor
Dixon 5425
Hi--

Probably a simple question for all you gurus--

Should I change my oil in the fall or the spring? I have a Dixon 5425.

I had decided to change the oil in the spring, figuring to have fresh to begin the new season. My son says not to leave the gunky old stuff in the engine over the winter. Since we have a warm spell right now, I could probably get it started and warmed enough to change the oil over this weekend....

/ Change oil in fall or spring? #2  
I'm not an expert, but I used to own motorcycles in the great white north. The thinking was that you put fresh oil in at the end of the season as old oil contains a good bit of the stuff that is harmful to metal. In the spring you might have some water in the oil from condensation depending on where it is stored but that will burn off after its first use of the new season. I would regularly find water all over the cases of my Harley while it sat on the cement in the garage. Screwey wife thought the living room was no place for a bike........WOMEN!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Change oil in fall or spring? #3  
It is best to change the oil before any period of storage (in the fall for a lawn mower... in the spring for a snowblower). The reason for this is that acids (by-product of cumbustion) build up in motor oil... not a horrible thing if the engine is brought to operating temperature every so often (motor oils are designed to deal with it... that is what the TBN - total base number - is all about). However, if an engine has the opportunity to gather condensed moisture in the crankcase (while sitting), this moisture can react with the acid deposits and cause damage...

/ Change oil in fall or spring?
Jeff--

Yeah, go figure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve--

Thanks. Good advice.

Now a question for both of you. I changed the oil today in the Dixon. Also changed the oil filter and the transmission oil filter.

When I was done, I took it out for about a 20 second spin, and when I tried to go full speed, or up the incline back to the garage, the engine slowed quite a bit.

Could I have done something wrong, or would that sluggishness be put off to the cold weather (it was about 32 degrees F, 0 degrees Celsius)?

Thanks for your help!

/ Change oil in fall or spring? #5  
Hard to say on the sluggish response. Could be a warm up issue. Generally, if the engine starts correctly, with no odd noises, and oil pressure goes up as expected (or low oil pressure light goes off as expected), there sould not be a problem with the engine...

I'll asumme that you re-checked the oil fill level after running the engine for a few minutes (to be certain that the oil level is correct after the engine fills the new filter up with oil). Oil level is especially important when the tractor is on a slope... Too low, and the pick-up bell might suck air, too high and the oil might rise (at one end) and hit the crank (this causes undue stress to the crank, a loss of power, and aerated oil, any of which are not good).

/ Change oil in fall or spring? #6  
Change it before you store it. There are things in the old oil that are harmful to the engine while it is in storage. On my gas engines, I put a tablespoon of oil in through the spark plug hole and crank it a few times. Smokes on startup but keeps the rings and upper lubed.

/ Change oil in fall or spring?
Steve--

Thanks!

It did start OK, and there were no odd noises. There is no oil pressure guage so that is hard to tell. Perhaps best to wait till warmer weather and see.