Challenger MT400 Series

/ Challenger MT400 Series #1  

Poncho

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 431
Anybody seen one of these, have one or knows an uncle, who has a brother, who's married to his cousin's sister? Supposedly they have the CATERPILLAR engine (the compacts have the ISEKI engines). I looked at the MT425 today in 2WD version... I did notice that they are set-up for CATII implements and the MT425 has a lift capacity of 4100 lbs. @ 24" behind..... that's heavy duty!! Of course you can tell by the price they are VERY proud of them.

/ Challenger MT400 Series #2  
Yes i did see one at Cat don''t know exact number but it was 400 series,same as massy 4300 series,except with Cat engine instead of perkins.

/ Challenger MT400 Series #3  
The Challenger is now MT425B with a 3pt hitch lift of 6,600 lbs. It also has hydraulic flow of 34.8 gpm with 26.4 gpm at the remotes. Good size engine of 268 CID (4cyl) with 60 pto hp.

I'm renting the Challenger compact MT295 for the month for loading stone. The engine seems pretty quiet and smooth. It has hydrostatic with 4 ranges. A little hard getting it into the low and high gear range with the hydro pedal right in the center spot (it grinds a lot).

It has a electric button to switch from low or high in the gear range you are driving in (convenient).

I'm on 9 hours and still have some diesel left (10 gal tank, I think). The hydrostatic is interesting to drive. I've never used a gear tractor; yet.

It has a 1/2 yd bucket and lifts about 1500 lbs, when full. Need lots of ballast for this weight. My rear wheels are almost off the ground with 400lbs of wheel weights and a 200 lb cement block on the 3pt.

I now understand how easy tractors can roll. Wow what a wake up. Scary..........

/ Challenger MT400 Series #4  
The engine in the tractor is a Perkins, several years ago Cat bought Perkins, and when they install them in a Challenger tractor Cat give them one of there own (Caterpillar) identification.
Chuck M.

/ Challenger MT400 Series #5  
the Perkins engine in the Massey 4300 series (4325) is a 244 CID with 65 engine hp and 55 pto hp.

The engine in the Challenger MT425B is 268 CID with 60 pto hp.The engine is called the Caterpillar 3054 (may be a perkins like stated)

The Callenger specs out a little better than the Massey but I don't know how they compare in price. The Massey is 6,665 lbs while the Challenger is well into the 7,000 lb range.