chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #1  

BlackOps

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
is it easy to replace the chain sprocket? how? and where is the best place to get the part(s)? thank you.

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #2  
It's either super easy or pretty easy depending on if the clutch is inside or outside the chain. Most saws now are internal clutch but some are external.

Usually for internal clutch saws there is a spring "E" clip that holds the sprocket and clutch drum on the crankshaft. If it's an external clutch you have to have a way to stop the crank from moving so you can unscrew the clutch and remove the drum and sprocket.

Removing an external clutch:

I use the rope method for stopping the piston and crank from turning. But when you do it make sure the piston is about a half inch from TDC so the ports are closed off. That way you won't get the rope jammed in a port.

Baileys (web site) is one source for saw parts.

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #3  
the 591 is pretty easy (I think very easy) to replace the chain sprocket. any reputable saw shop should be able to order OR lots of interweb places have them as well.

1, remove clutch cover
2, blow out crap (shaving and oil) with compressed air
3, you will see a 7mm e-ring (snap ring). remove. this is most difficult portion if you not familiar with removing e-clips. if ordering a new drum/clutch (what many call star drive or chain sprocket) get a new one they are worth about $1. (#1 in pic below)
4, remove the washer that's between the e-clip and drum clutch. they are loose and come off easy. Order a new one as well. worth about $1. (#2 in pic below)
5, the drum clutch with minor wiggling will pull right off. new one worth about $50. (#3 in pic below)
6, under the drum next is a needle bearing cage. replace this as well worth about $10 (#4 in pic below)
7, next is the clutch assembly which if saw is running well and as you mentioned only want to replace the drum clutch a simple clean will suffice. Digging into the clutch assembly or replacing is a little more complicated. new one will set you back about $50 if you decide it needs replacing.

would think a lot of u-tube vids for this type of work should exist.

GEneric diagram pasted below

1677291356592.png
1677292136734.png
your chain sprocket should look like this

Last edited:
   / chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #4  
Clean out the inside of the clutch drum while its off. I put a tiny bit of grease on the clutch bearing when I reassemble.

The E clip has a sharp side and a rounded side. The sharp side goes on the outside.

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #5  
Clean out the inside of the clutch drum while its off. I put a tiny bit of grease on the clutch bearing when I reassemble.

The E clip has a sharp side and a rounded side. The sharp side goes on the outside.
EXCELLENT point.... many miss this!

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #6  
Odd you mention a Shindawa. SIN just gave me a couple of old 488's that were rode hard and put away wet so I figure I'd see what I could do with them. I've used the rope method before to take off the clutch, this time I figure I'd try an impact. I did and it came right off. I had made a three pin tool to fit around the clutch fingers (you can buy them but I was cheap LOL).
I put a tiny bit of grease on the clutch bearing when I reassemble.
For sure be sure to do that. Something I found on the Shindawa was a hole thru the center of the crank that went right to the bearing so you didn't have to diss-assemble it to grease the clutch which I thought was a great idea.

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590 #7  
This one came in from a local. Those are a simple one to do. NO REASON to remove clutch on this one like that video showing above.
Take pics of disassembling if you never done it. Start with that e-clip.
Use high temp grease for your clutch drum bearing while in there.

e590s.jpg

/ chain sprocket shindaiwa 591 and echo 590
ok thank you all - i am sorry for the delay but with serious health issues and also serious storms ehere and trees down and etc. cleanup has been a mess. plus rains too.

I will reread and check all of this stuff out again and try to figure out if doable by me. i thought it should not be that hard. but i guess we';ll see.

just a note: the younger guy who bought the local shop - he was a jerk when he worked there for the old guy... anyway, the old guy was great and honest and this new guy is a total numbn*ts. - nasty and lazy and tries to rip people off all the time. nex closest place which is also nothing to write home about is maybe 45 miles away. love the saws but no real legit dealer around to service them as needed. the younger guy dropped the ball multiple times on my old saw - and too long of a story or stories to explain here.

thank you and sorry for the late reply..