Cement floors -re-revisited

/ Cement floors -re-revisited #11  
We have horses so I can speak with some authority on this. Bare concrete is NOT suitable for a horse foe the previously stated reasons, (too hard on the joints and WAY too slippery.)However concrete with rubber stall matts are not only acceptable but I think are probably superior to dirt without mats (I've had both) The rubber is 3/4 inch thick and you can get the matts to interlock (well worth the slight added cost) so they won't shift around and the shavings won't work down between the joints. You still need some shavings/sawdust but thats mainly for urine absorbtion as opposed to cushion. Bottom line concreting the whole thing is fine but plan on matts anywhere the horses are going to walk. (Even the aisles since concrete's pretty slippery to a horse wearing shoes and horses aren't the smartest creatures on earth. They tend to be a little spooky and hurt themselves pretty easily. They make aisle mats that are thinner and so cost less, but still give traction and cushion. Cleanup is obviously easier with a hard surface rather than stonedust or earth. (asphalt is a also a good option)