Case IH 585 no start

/ Case IH 585 no start #1  

Jrasband

Gold Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota M7060, 2014 LS XR3032, 1987 Case IH 585 4wd, BCS 853 w/ 26" tires
Was plowing snow today with scrape blade when the tractor suddenly stopped running. I believe it to be fuel related as it put out a little smoke, coughed and ran out of power as it was dying.

I checked the tank(no gauge) and saw what looked like a few inches at least in the tank. I put 5 gallons in and it would not start. I opened the bleeder screw on top of the fuel filter and no fuel came out. So I figured the line/inlet was maybe clogged, I disconnected the line on the left side of the fuel tank(opposite of the side with valve) to see if there was a clog there, again no fuel. Then I thought I was checking the wrong side and should have checked it at the valve as that would be the supply line.

Then it was getting dark and I had to stop. I figured it might help if I made a post to see if y'all think I am on the right track. What do you think, Is there something else I should do?

/ Case IH 585 no start #2  
If it has set long enough, there is water in the tank/lines.
So, there is a chance the water is frozen.

The fuel filter(s) trap water, another place the water can freeze.

One year I tried to put summer diesel in the tractor tank, when it was COLD! ,
the fuel was so "thick" the fuel could hardly go past the screen in the funnel.

A heater in a shed is the only fix for frozen fuel lines,, or a warm day,,

/ Case IH 585 no start
Thanks, I will check the line and filters tomorrow. It might get warm enough tomorrow to melt some ice!

/ Case IH 585 no start #4  
Either way u look at it, it was pumping air..
Ur gonna hafta loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS until it starts spitting fuel and no air.. your battery and starter will thank u.
And before that, loosen the inlet line on the injection pump and turn the key on IF it has an electric supply pump.. THAT WAY it’ll push all the air out from the tank, thru the filters and all the way to the inj. pump inlet, then tighten..

/ Case IH 585 no start
Is it possible the injection pump went out suddenly?

I do not think there was ice in the line as I was running the tractor for over a hour 2 days prior. I drained the tank and have started disconnecting lines to make sure there is no ice. Apparently my shut off valve doesn't work as I could not get it to stop draining after I disconnecting the line, so that is why i drained the tank...

/ Case IH 585 no start
So I removed the fuel filters and the first one had a lot of junk in it that I poured out, there was also crud right on top of the filter which I thought was odd and led me to believe it had just got there prior to quitting. The second filter did not have anything unusual. I blew the lines out from the tank to the filters and didn't see anything odd.

I shined a light in the bottom of the tank and it looks like there is a light film, or possibly corrosion in the bottom of the tank, It only goes up a few inches and above that it looks clean and shiny. Should I pull the tank and clean it? Seems like it would be a good time while I have it drained and am about to put filters on it. Looks relatively easy, disconnect lines, ROPS, and unbolt tank from fenders and I presume it comes right out.

For what it's worth, not sure of the history of the tractor, it looks to have a lot of hours on it. The brake and clutch pedals have a lot of wear on them at the shaft. The hour meter was cut at 1800..

/ Case IH 585 no start #7  
Clean tank and flush lines, new filters and fresh winterized fuel. Fuel should gravity flow to the filter housings. Pre fill your filters with diesel to save time.

I can change fuel filters without bleeding the system, but never ran it out of fuel though.

Tank does come off without removing fenders, you may have to remove the top ROPS hoop to allow the tank to wiggle enough to come out, but you don't have to remove the inner ROPS legs between wheel/fenders.

I removed one of those tanks years ago, wasn't too hard, just took time getting all the little bolts!

/ Case IH 585 no start
Awesome, thanks I'll get to it tomorrow!

/ Case IH 585 no start
Update: Finally got the tractor going again. After I took the fuel tank out I found quite a bit of rust/corrosion on the sides of the tank both sides.I sanded it down to find little pinholes leaking fuel. So I got some stuff from Napa to patch it only to find it was dried up. I had some Permatex rust treatment so I tried that and found it sealed the holes. I tested it to make sure diesel didn't dissolve it. Hopefully it holds up well.

I pressure washed inside of tank, changed fuel filters, and painted the tank. It looks good and feels even better not having a tractor broken down blocking the driveway anymore!