Carb problem resolved!

/ Carb problem resolved! #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hey folks:

A buddy of mine who is really good with small engines (lawn tractors, jet skis, dirt bikes, you name it) came over this afternoon and we tore into the carbuerator. We took the top half off, and disassembled and removed the fuel pump. He examined it pretty closely, and the only thing that looked like it might be remotely an issue was the fuel pump looking a bit worn. (This is one of the simple vacuum type fuel pumps that comes in Briggs and Stratton's $15 carb rebuild kit, which I unfortunately did not have or we would have gone ahead and replaced it.) Anyway, we blew everything out with the compressor, which included a little dirt that had settled into the bottom of the carb (presumable from dirty gas???), reassembled everything, cranked it up, and it ran just as good as it did the first time I touched it. The whole deal took about an hour. I'm quite surprised. All we did was disassemble, blow it out, and reassemble, and the issue seems to be resolved. Go figure...I guess these small engines really ARE simple...

I'll pick up the carb rebuild kit anyway (given it's pretty inexpensive) and plan on replacing the fuel plump and cleaning again if it starts to act up in the future.

Man, I've only got a few repairs left on the list: get oil cooler fan working, get the hour meter working, and replace some worn steering hoses! I may have all this done before Fall at this rate! (And that includes use time as well as repair time!)

If I may quote MossRoad, "Did I mention that I really like this machine?" Gnarley! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Dave

/ Carb problem resolved! #3  
Just like rebooting your computer. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Carb problem resolved! #4  
Dave,

It's a great feeling of accomplishment to fix an aggravating problem. Great job!

Duane