Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup?

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #11  
Pretty easy to figure out. Cab, wheel base length, 2wd or 4wd and trans + axle ratio combo gives what you can tow and numbers on the left are the total weight of vehicle contents and trailer weight and load. GCWR = gross combined weight ratio. You have to figure the weight of truck and the payload, than what the tongue weight on hitch. As long as this doesn't go over the gross vehicle axle weights, then you can add weight of trailer and load to stay under the numbers on the left matching truck options. Hope this helps.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #12  
A couple of other numbers to look at. The payload often limits what you can tow, that number is on the door jamb sticker and is for that exact truck the way it was built. It includes all fluids including a full tank of fuel but no driver. On an F150 it can range from about 1300 pounds to 2400 pounds roughly.

The other number is any hitch weight over 500 pounds or trailer weight over 5000 pounds needs a weight distribution hitch.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #13  
Max is probably referencing max tow package which lowers gears to 3:73 and used to require 3.5 Ecoboost and certain wheel/tire combo to support additional payload/trailer load.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #14  
Remember The Snowman (Jerry Reed) explaining to The Bandit (Burt Reynolds) how they would switch CB channels to outwit Smokie (Jackie Gleason)?
That!

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #15  
Ford now has a VIN specific towing calculator on their web site for the F SERIES. You do need to create an account and then add the VIN to your account. On the Vehicle Dashboard there will be a Tow calculator tile you can click on. From there it will tell you the GCWR and max trailer ratings for conventional, gooseneck, and fifth wheel. you can adjust how much you are carrying in the truck and it will change the trailer ratings based on the remaining payload and GCWR. I do not know how far back the data goes but it works for my 2020.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #16  
Ford now has a VIN specific towing calculator on their web site for the F SERIES. You do need to create an account and then add the VIN to your account. On the Vehicle Dashboard there will be a Tow calculator tile you can click on. From there it will tell you the GCWR and max trailer ratings for conventional, gooseneck, and fifth wheel. you can adjust how much you are carrying in the truck and it will change the trailer ratings based on the remaining payload and GCWR. I do not know how far back the data goes but it works for my 2020.

I have an account and our truck is there but no Tow calculator, maybe it's only for F150's?? we have an F350.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup?

Thanks, that is an excellent link (so far)
The Ford vin decoder I had been using produced:
11300, 8200 lbs 7700.0 min 13900.0 max

The link to the Ford site says 11,300 for conventional with w/d.

/edit
didn't work for a 2019, no tow calculator
worked for a 2020
Ford Truck vin decoder -
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.12500, 12500, 10500, 10500, 10500, 10500, 10500, 7000, 5000 lbs 5000.0 min 12700.0 max

link to the Ford site calculator - 12447

Last edited:
   / Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #18  
I have an account and our truck is there but no Tow calculator, maybe it's only for F150's?? we have an F350.
MY 2020 F350 has it. What year is your truck? Not sure what year they have data for.

/ Can anyone succinctly explain trailering numbers found in a Ford Vin lookup? #19  
MY 2020 F350 has it. What year is your truck? Not sure what year they have data for.
2019. As mentioned above, that year doesn't have it for some reason.