Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity

/ Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity #1  

RedDawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra 5010, 1955 Ford 640
I have searched and searched. Trying to find the hydraulic oil capacity of a Bush Hog HDZ-3 zero turn mower. Closest I've come is a reference in the owner manual that describes the hydraulic oil draining procedure. It says to use a pan with an 8 quart capacity. But that doesn't mean that is the capacity. It does say that the hydraulic system uses 20w-50 oil.

Here's the reason I'm trying to find out. I believe about 2 ounces of gasoline got into that hydraulic system. I'm trying to figure out if that is a lot or a little with respect to the amount of total fluid. Is this something to panic over or is it relatively inconsequential in the scheme of things. Thanks.

/ Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity #2  
Does the mower have ONE hydraulic reservoir? OR is each side separate?

Most commercial grade mowers that have integrated wheel/pump motors that are separate oils for each side is only about 1-1.5qts per side if doing a filter change.

The ones with common sump are around 3 qts.

In the grand scheme of things.....oil is cheap vs rebuilding pumps/motors. I'd drain and swap.

/ Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity
Does the mower have ONE hydraulic reservoir? OR is each side separate?

Most commercial grade mowers that have integrated wheel/pump motors that are separate oils for each side is only about 1-1.5qts per side if doing a filter change.

The ones with common sump are around 3 qts.

In the grand scheme of things.....oil is cheap vs rebuilding pumps/motors. I'd drain and swap.
I believe it has two ZT-5400 Transaxles. Each one is about 1.25 gallons. I found a parts manual. Somehow the two are connected. There is only one fill port. We were told that filling one would make the levels rise in each expansion tank.

So, yes, they need to be drained and filled. I was just wondering about the possibility of damage as it ran about 4 hours this way. If that 2 ounces was a significant percentage it would be very concerning. Based on these specification I just found, that 2 ounces represents @ 0.6% of the volume. I'm hoping that insignificant an amount did no damage.

/ Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity #4  
I find it hard to believe that your system total is 2.5 gallons. But yes I see the ZT5400 listed as such. Seems like alot of oil compared to most ZTR's. But not familiar with those. The more common zt2800-3400's only hold ~2qts. So the 5400 being 3x that amount seems odd......must be a beast of a ZTR. But in either case, be it 2.5 gallons or 2.5qts.....changing it is still ALOT cheaper than repair in the future.

And even if you DONT change it.....and even if it has NOTHING to do with any future failures......you will always wonder in the back of your mind about the contaminated fluid.

/ Bush Hog HDZ-3 Hydraulic Oil Capacity #5  
I find it hard to believe that your system total is 2.5 gallons. But yes I see the ZT5400 listed as such. Seems like alot of oil compared to most ZTR's. But not familiar with those. The more common zt2800-3400's only hold ~2qts. So the 5400 being 3x that amount seems odd......must be a beast of a ZTR. But in either case, be it 2.5 gallons or 2.5qts.....changing it is still ALOT cheaper than repair in the future.

And even if you DONT change it.....and even if it has NOTHING to do with any future failures......you will always wonder in the back of your mind about the contaminated fluid.
Also not a fan of them being connected to a common reservoir. They are designed to be independent units. So with them connected, any failure of one would result in failure of both most likely. OR at least shortly there after