Comparison Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #1  

Jaredm55

Tractor
John Deere Z535m
I recently bought a cabin that I will be moving into and will need a tractor for cleaning up and taking care of the property. It is about 4 wooded acres that were destroyed in a storm and some loggers took out the large trees on about half of the land. There are still a lot of trees that need to be taken down and the rest of the land is covered in brush and stumps. I will primarily use the tractor for picking up and moving trees/logs, clearing brush, blowing snow, spreading mulch/gravel, and grading my driveway.

I have been looking at tractors with a high loader lift capacity for moving heavy logs with a grapple bucket and found the Branson and LS to fit my needs the best. Both have dealers close to me that seemed like they would be good to work with and the prices are close enough to not make much of a difference. Since I have not seen the 4720ch in person, I was wondering how it compares to the LS MT342hc. The LS had a linked pedal to the throttle and a switch at the rear to raise/lower the 3pt arms for hooking up to implements, does the Branson also have these features? The LS seemed to have trouble tilting and raising/lowering the bucket at the same time when I test drove it. I had to move it very slow to get it to work, is that normal? Its been awhile since I drove a skid steer, but those seem a lot easier to control than the tractor bucket. I also have some hills on my property and the Branson can spread the wheels further apart for more stability. The LS does not have an option for this, is there an aftermarket wheel spacer I could use?

Would you recommend the Branson or LS tractor, and why? Are there any other differences or reasons to buy one over the other? Thank you for your help.

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #2  
In terms of what you get for your money both tractors are very competitive.
Comparing these two paricular models you will find that the LS is slightly larger and the Branson heavier (600lb).

The LS MT3 platform is a more recent development than the Branson 20 series.
If possible, spend time with both machines and dealers; make sure you buy what you like/need.

Also, run the numbers on the next model up, you never know...

Try to have fun while at it.

Good luck.

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #3  
I own an LS, but my dealer now sales both. I think you will find that most of the tractors in this size range will have slow response on the FEL. It is not a problem for me.
And talk on here about it. You really need to sat on both and compare them. You may want to go to the LS threads and the Branson threads down on this forum. I can tell you more about the LS that I have and love it. Get at least 2 rear remotes. I am not sure how many the Branson comes with. The dealer will have to add the 3rd function on the front for a grapple. My dealer installed it at cost and no labor. Looks like factory. Check the options on both, but sat in both. I know that some cabs are just better for some people.
Also, I do not see where you are at. Note that higher elevations may affect the HP on some machines without turbos.
Take you time, test drive, compare and then go for it and enjoy.

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #4  
It sounds like you're looking at HST models (which is fine).

I have a cabbed 25 series, which is nearly identical to the 20 series in most respects. But my comments come from running my 25 series for over 3 years now.

The Branson does have linked pedals for throttle and forward/reverse motion. Mine also came standard with a cruise control button, which basically just locks (magnet) the foot pedal in whatever position it was in until you press the button again.

There is not a "switch" on the Branson to raise the 3pt, but a control lever to raise and lower it. Mine comes up from the floor, on the right side of the seat.

There is a 3 position switch for the pto though. There's "live", "off" and "linked". Live turns it on and leaves it running. Obviously "off" is off. And "linked" runs the pto as long as your 3 pt is down, but when you raise the 3 pt hitch, it shuts off the pto. Very nice for making turns in a field while mowing or tilling.

My 25 series also came with 2 rear remotes. I don't know that the 20 series "comes" with any, but I believe you can add either 2 or 3 at time of order (Highly Recommend This).

The FEL controls are mostly binary, you can either raise/lower the loader arms, or you can curl the bucket. I have been able to on occasion, lower my loader and curl down, but I don't know if that is a random accident, or if since both are "bleeding down" in that function, it can happen. But most all of the time, it is either one or the other. My loader arm travel (up and down) can be controlled very easily and make precise adjustments for height. My bucket curl however, is very difficult to function precisely in small measures. It is very "touchy" on the curl. Mostly notice this when using the pallet forks and trying to line up a shot into a pallet (or whatever I'm trying to move). Loader will lift a ton (literally), just make sure you're running with plenty of rear ballast weight. I have my rears filled with Rimguard, and I can't recommend that enough, regardless of which tractor you get.

Diff lock on mine is under the left boot heel, not sure if the 20 series is in same spot, but I think it is since they started getting "new" cabs a few years ago. I know the open station 25 series has the diff lock on the right heel side, instead of the left heel side. Which is madness, and I hope they change that soon. Very easy to engage 4wd, and press down with left boot heel to engage the diff lock. Can get through "most" stuff that way. I can mow up a 25 degree slope with a 6' bush hog, in L on the HST, with 4wd engaged and the diff lock on, all while the A/C is blowing and the radio is on.

I'm also running R-4's.

All in all, I'm very happy with mine after 3-3 1/2 years. I've got almost 300 hours on it now. It's built like a tank, very beefy, everything is cast iron and steel. Everything (except interior trim). Mine weighs 7100 lbs with the FEL, bucket, filled rear tires and mower or box blade on. That much weight comes in handy most of the time. Traction is excellent. Having a cab is great. Personally I wouldn't be without one ( -40 F winters & snow removal). Heat/defrost in winter and A/C in summer for mowing. Very luxurious.

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #5  
The Branson is an analog machine. It's got mechanical fuel injection. The only computer is the data recorder. So it has a simple analog linked throttle- there's a cable from the HST linkage to the "throttle" linkage on the injector pump. It works well in L and M range but in H I need to raise the rpms with the hand throttle.

With the extendable 3pt arms I don't need to raise the 3pt to attach an implement. When the extension is extended it has some up and down play. I just get the arms close to the right height and lift the left one by hand. The right one has a tilt cylinder so I can use that to line it up. On my open station tractor I can reach the factory remote levers from behind the tractor.

The remote levers use a linkage to actuate valves that are bolted to the top of the rear transmission case, above the PTO shaft. It looks like it'd be possible to make some levers to actuate them from the back of the tractor.

/ Branson 4720ch vs LS MT342hc #6  
The Ls also has extendable 3pt arms.