Blueberries

/ Blueberries #101  
I thought it was this thread, but I can't find it now; wasn't someone talking about 'fall producing black berries'? I know I saw/read/heard recently something about them; but had never seen anything before about a fall producing berry. Even did some reading on the UF/IFAS site, and nothing. I would be interesting if there is such a plant.
I have fall bearing raspberries. IDK about blackberries. If you plant either, try to find a primocane variety, not flouricane. Primocane varieties bear from new canes annually, allowing you to cut the canes to the ground in the winter and start with new canes growing from the roots. It allows you to burn the old canes that might harbor insects or disease.

/ Blueberries #102  
Here are two primocane fall bearing blackberries suitable for your area:

Look at the 2 prim-ark varieties.

/ Blueberries #103  
Thanks, those sound interesting. Black berry's are a bit rough because they need so much water during fruiting; and typical types, that right during the driest oartnof the year, April-May.

Not sure if I'm going to plant any long term stuff, till we figure out if we are staying here or buying a new place in the next 18 months.

/ Blueberries #104  
Thanks, those sound interesting. Black berry's are a bit rough because they need so much water during fruiting; and typical types, that right during the driest oartnof the year, April-May.

Not sure if I'm going to plant any long term stuff, till we figure out if we are staying here or buying a new place in the next 18 months.
The two I named are fall fruiting primocane varieties.

/ Blueberries #105  
Picking wild berries in Alaska. We often found patches of a small black berry. Little flavor but easy to harvest. They went into the berry box along with the blueberries.

Wild raspberries were a premium berry. We used them to make raspberry liquor. The raspberries - some sugar - Everclear. It was REALLY good. But you had to watch out - it could knock you flat on your can.