Biodiesel?

/ Biodiesel? #1  

TYMinColton

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 TYM T273 w/ FEL - 100 hrs, 1962ish Ford 881D project - hrs unknown
Hey Guys,
I have located a farmer who can sell me 50% biodiesel in the winter months and 99% in the summer. Good discount and no doubt better for the environment. My wife's also seems to really want the sweet smell of french fries wafting in the air as I move piles of horse manure :D . Anyway, several Advertisements I've seen on the internet suggest that TYM tractors are in fact compatible with biodiesel. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
Pete

/ Biodiesel? #2  
All Current TYM Tractor Models are BIO-DIESEL Compatible.

The above was copied from a current TYM AD.

/ Biodiesel? #3  
Is TYM talking B100 or B20? If the tractor has been running LSD and/or ULSD adding biodiesel will tend to dissolve and "lift" the sludge in your fuel tank and lines and which may clog your fuel lines, fuel filters, and/or injectors. I would also be very cautious using biodiesel in really cold weather as it has a higher cloud/gel point than ULSD. A couple of people I know have had trouble with biodiesel gellling up on them this winter in NE. Jay

/ Biodiesel? #4  
How much diesel do you use in a year?

I might, maybe use 50-100 gallons.

I don't care what I am burning, that much diesel per year isn't going to help or hurt the environment one way or the other.

I will put plain old diesel in my tractor and leave the biodiesel experiments to those guys who burn a few hundred gallons per day.

Does your farmer have a QC department? The stuff from the pump is tested at the refinery. What happens when you get a bad batch?

/ Biodiesel? #5  
Last winter a lot of diesel operators in NE had problems with the ULSD fuel coming direct from the distributors because of a poor additive mix. ULSD was clouding up at around 17 degrees F and gelling around 10 degrees F. This winter the high volume station that I use and serves all the local diesel operators and school buses was running a very high kerosene "mix" because of what happened last year (We all paid for it :eek:). I also run Power Service (White Bottle) as recommended for cold weather now; I had no problems with fuel gelling this winter. Jay

/ Biodiesel? #6  
jbrumberg said:
I also run Power Service (White Bottle) as recommended for cold weather now; I had no problems with fuel gelling this winter. Jay

Do you only run it in the winter? I've been using it with every fill summer or winter because of the ultra low sulfer content of our diesel around here. Once last summer I forgot to add some and within 15 minutes I could tell a considerable difference in performance and just the overall sound of the engine. I swear by the stuff.

Roady

/ Biodiesel? #7  
Roady:

I use Power Service (White Bottle) year round as recommended on the bottle. I agree with you as to the performance improvement. There has also been a lot of positive comments here at TBN about Howes additive which I believe is generally sold at truck stops. I have not used it yet as a comparison. Jay

/ Biodiesel? #8  
You can indeed run biodiesel in any current TYM model. As long as you buy the biodiesel from a certified vendor, it will not affect your warranty either.