Bent 3pt Lift arm

/ Bent 3pt Lift arm #1  

jray

Tractor
Shibaura 4x4 SD1840
I posted this in the parts and repair section but wanted to see if anyone in the the Grey section had encountered this before. I was working with my Box Blade today using it in reverse and pushing dirt around and digging into a hill to cut it down for a parking area. Well I made an adjustment to the vertical position and continued working. Well when I stopped for the day I was trying to adjust the BB back to a Level position and noticed that the Right side Lift arm was bent down and to the outside of the tractor. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of this before, can I take the lift arm off and press it back straight or replace with a new one due to any unknown stresses caused by the bend. Thanks in advance for any comments Jray

/ Bent 3pt Lift arm #2  
You can press it back flat but it will be weaker than before. You may go years without any problems, but then again if you keep on backing pushing you will probably bend it again. Forward isn't that bad, but pushing in reverse might just do it in the next time.

/ Bent 3pt Lift arm
Thanks Brent I'm not sure if pushing backwards with the blade did for sure. I was just paying closer attention o today than normal. But it has diffinitely shyed me away from that practice. Thanks alot for your reply Jray

/ Bent 3pt Lift arm #4  
As CowboyDoc has commented in the past:

<font color=blue>"Yes, the three point arms are very strong but were made lifting and not for bulldozing. "</font color=blue>

This comment was listed in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genoperating&Number=100581&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Bulldozing with a Box Blade</A>. The general gist of the thread is that pushing on lift arms in reverse can bend them.

/ Bent 3pt Lift arm
Hey Doc I new I read that post reguarding pushing with the BB. I was in fairly soft dirt so I'm not sure if that was the cause or that I did not notice it before I bought it last week. Anyway reguardless I have learnt my lesson with using this method. I was lucky enough that I was able to have it pressed straight today at a local FAB shop cost $25.00 dollars thought that was a little high but definitly cheaper that a new bar. Thanks for your responce Jray