BCS 853 vs BCS 749

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749 #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I am looking to upgrade. I currently have a 739 and several years ago I had an old 720. I would like to get a 30 tiller and a stone burying tiller attachments. I already have a sweeper and snowblower attachments I will keep. I wish I could try both the 853 and the 749 side by side but that probably won稚 happen.

I am looking for some help from people that may have both or have used both units. The thing I really like about my 739 is the fact that the engine doesn稚 die every time I let of of them handle. My 720 had a clip to keep the clutch handle from killing the engine but sometimes it would jump and die before I could grab the handle again.

The thing I dislike about the 739 is sometimes it is very difficult to get the PTO to engage. It would be nice to feather the couch at times to get the PTO to engage easier.

I know the other differences such as no transport speed, which could be nice but I wouldn稚 use it much if at all. And the inability to work on the power safe clutch myself. But in 4 years with my 739 I have never had an issue.

I am just looking for thoughts from you to help figure out which way I should go. Thanks

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749 #2  
Hi jrpeterson05 :)

It is an interesting question that you raise, and probably a comparison that many people have made, when they were considering to purchase a 2-wheel tractor. As you know, the 2 tractors are very similar, except for the type of clutch and the lack of a transport gear in the BCS 749.

As you have an BCS 739 already, I am a bit puzzled that you want to upgrade to a BCS 853 or 749 - why? Do you have jobs that the 739 can't handle?

If I read the BCS 739 specifications right, the main difference to the BCS 749 is a smaller engine, the lack of steering brakes, and the failing ability to run taller than 20'' wheels. For someone looking for his first 2-wheel tractor, the comparison between the 853 and the 749 is a valid one I think, but you have a 739 already :confused:

I look forward to hear which way you will finally go.

Best regards

Jens

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749 #3  
I have the 853, after having a 605 for many years. I upgraded last year to get a newer engine and a transmission with the transport gear, and I'm very happy with the 853. I do use the transport speed quite a bit, with a trailer and/or sulky. If it weren't for wanting that transport speed, I would have gone with the 749. Since you are used to the 739 already, the 749 seems like the better choice especially if you don't need the transport speed. I'm hoping someone who's used both will reply with better feedback too.

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749
Jens, I do know all the differences between the two and I have a pros/cons list and my list is fairly even, that is why it is a choice I am struggling with. My main reason for considering upgrading is my plan to get a stoneburying tiller. On the earthtools website it recommends 12 HP and up for that attachment. Im sure the 11 HP of the 739 could most likely handle it pretty well I would be using it quite a bit so that is why I am considering an upgraded tractor.

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749 #5  
You could probably upgrade the engine for less.

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749 #6  
how about you just buy the attachments, and try it out on your current tractor? Also, the BCS/ Earthtools recommendations for horsepower was conservative in comparison to some international site for two wheel tractors. Also depends alot on soil.

/ BCS 853 vs BCS 749
Thank you for all these alternatives. I have thought about all of them however I primarily would like to hear from people who have used both and which one they prefer based on the differences between them.

Thanks