BBQ Smokers

/ BBQ Smokers #461  
It's local, aromatic Cedar; no stain. The finish was a spar varnish, but it didn't hold up well at all. I would probably consult with a reputable paint store to see what they have that will retain the color; I probably should have gone with a penetrating finish of some sort. The shiny piece on the bottom shelf is polished natural granite that I had cut at a cabinet outlet to set the Egg on. Granite will take the heat without cracking; you can heat it red hot and it won't break. Oh, I used all SS screws in it. I don't have a lathe, so I made the handle with an antique draw knife that I have had for 40 years and never used. I was amazed how close I was able to shape it and make it fit into hole I drilled with a Forsner bit. The wheels are industrial grade wheels I bought at Lowe's, as I recall.
Yeah I thought it was (what we call it around here) Tennessee Cedar. I've used that for the interior of a Hope Chest I built long ago.

/ BBQ Smokers #462  
Sensing sarcasm . It痴 been reliable for 15 years. First nice piece of equipment I got before getting into smoking. It has a place and purpose.

No sarcasm. I have an old stainless Charbroil commercial, but I've rebuilt it so many times it's due for a replacement. Like yours, it has a place an purpose, but needs to be replaced. Most grills are infrared these days and don't provide the high direct heat needed for searing like they used to. Been looking at the Genesis ll grills, so I was wondering if that's what you have. Unfortunately yours is about the same age as my current grill, built when they made long lasting grills. Probably not a good idea to compare your old grill to the new style.

/ BBQ Smokers #463  
No sarcasm. I have an old stainless Charbroil commercial, but I've rebuilt it so many times it's due for a replacement. Like yours, it has a place an purpose, but needs to be replaced. Most grills are infrared these days and don't provide the high direct heat needed for searing like they used to. Been looking at the Genesis ll grills, so I was wondering if that's what you have. Unfortunately yours is about the same age as my current grill, built when they made long lasting grills. Probably not a good idea to compare your old grill to the new style.

I replaced the burner on my grill 2 years ago, not out of necessity, but preventive mostly. Have never replaced anything else in its life. Weber’s are expensive but well worth it in the long run. Warranty is excellent as well as customer service. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a current model weber. I have stainless steel cooking grates on mine. Most box stores carry the cast iron grate models which I would steer clear of. Cast iron grates require more upkeep.

/ BBQ Smokers #464  
I built my own. 55 gal. Drum made the basket out of expanded metal hold temp well.