Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #1  

kjg26

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK55
I just purchased a low hour, 72, Ikon x 52" zero turn. It throws the drive belt as soon as the engine is on. Otherwise it is in excellent condition from what i can determine. Where do I start in troubleshooting this? The pulleys all appear to be in line and the belt is tensioned to spec. I plan to start with a new belt tomorrow But I hate to waste one getting it all chewed up if it continues to throw belts.

Also. How do I check the trans axles On this mower? Currently I have the rear end jacked up on Jack stands

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt
Ok...solved my own problem And wanted to document the solution here for anybody in the future. After replacing the belt on the Pulley system it was evident that V fans on the top of each hydro drive were impacting the belt and causing it to fall from the pulley. I slightly heated each up and bent them away from the belt route. Problem solved. Must have gotten bent by some foreign debris at some point.

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #3  
I had one that bent the cooling fans into the pulley after the composite idler pulley failed. Not a bad unit, just line up a steel idler and get it installed before next season.

Any suggestions?

There Doesn't seem to be much as far as resources online

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #6  
I matched it to a Husqvarna one I stock I'm thinking, but I don't recall as it has been 5-6 months. Is this a small vee pulley or a flat idler? The one I used I have to press the old center into the new pulley. One could likely match it on an aftermarket site. You could post the chassis number and I could look from there. To me the plastic idler was odd because those pumps require good tension on the belt so they perform equally.

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #7  
I had one that bent the cooling fans into the pulley after the composite idler pulley failed. Not a bad unit, just line up a steel idler and get it installed before next season.
I had the issue with bent cooling fan fins. Then I figured that a had an idler pulley out of alignment with the other pulleys. It’s been better since I shimmed it but my drive belt is still getting damaged quicker than it should. I put a new Kevlar belt on at the end of last season. After 15 hours or so the belt already has slices in the belts outer layer. Doesn’t make any sense. You can’t see from this angle but on the opposite side the Kevlar sheath has been sliced and is separating from the belt in multiple places.

Attachments

• 0BE92905-67D1-4C0B-9D5E-C8D768338D32.jpeg
    0BE92905-67D1-4C0B-9D5E-C8D768338D32.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108
   / Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #8  
I think there is a warranty update for this problem.

/ Ariens Ikon X 52 throwing drive belt #9  
I had the issue with bent cooling fan fins. Then I figured that a had an idler pulley out of alignment with the other pulleys. It’s been better since I shimmed it but my drive belt is still getting damaged quicker than it should. I put a new Kevlar belt on at the end of last season. After 15 hours or so the belt already has slices in the belts outer layer. Doesn’t make any sense. You can’t see from this angle but on the opposite side the Kevlar sheath has been sliced and is separating from the belt in multiple places.

woodgeek

Welcome to TBN 📣