Buying Advice Are "Long" Tractors Any Good?

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #11  
I think you would be a lot happier with a CUT with 4wd. I know I was.
James K0UA

Kind of my thinking too, keep looking.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #12  
The long is a good tractor,(a work horse) i actully still use two today, a 510 and a 560. Not the prettiest thing to look at but never had any problems with mine. If you decide to get it let me know and i can hook you up with a parts suppler.:thumbsup:

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #13  
I just bought a Long 560, I really like it so far. Really easy starting and pulls like a mule. Parts are readily available. Longparts.com has everything you could possibly need. The hydraulics arent the greatest but work ok

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #14  
Good information. Thanks to all for posting. I am dealing right now on a Long model 2054. I think it is the same as a model 610. It is a (1997?) 4 WD and suposedly 63 HP. Serial No. 64013110. I have a Mahindra 2516 HST with only 43 hours on it and It is a great little tractor. But too little. I could barely lift a motor and trans and set it in the back of a pickup. Back to the Long, the price on it is $12,900. The hour meter says 1789.9 hours but in 20 minutes of running it never moved. None of the other guages or dummy lights work, but it started easily and ran smoothly. I liked the bigger loader and tires. Any idea what it is worth??

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #15  
ok im gonna say ths,longs are hard to keep going an get parts for when they go down.so they dont have much resale value in my eyes.but if you really want it id prolly them $9500 or $10,000 an hope nothing is wrong with it.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #16  
The less familiar long tractors are made specifically with small farm needs in mind. In fact, they are stable, have solid under-body suspension units and robust engines; these are required for rough tasks on irregular ground surfaces. This is, however, they are not as maneuverable and finding aftermarket parts or service may be quite expensive. Long can be the right tractor for your business if you need a dependable machine that is also multi-functional or is capable of performing the heavy duties.
Unlikely the OP still needs this info since this thread is over 10 years old.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #17  
Long, the Long Manufacturing Co. of Tarboro, North Carolina, began building its first tractor in 1948, attempting to claim its place in the booming agricultural tech marketplace.

You may need some information from one of these sites if you get it:

willy

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #18  
I had one 35 years ago,
I think it had a Perkins engine, not sure but I baled square hay with it.

/ Are "Long" Tractors Any Good? #19  
Nice thread bump!

I hated Long tractors when I was a kid. I worked for a couple people who had them. Honestly they worked, and I never saw an issue with them, but they just didn't look, feel, or sound like the American tractors I was used to. (Fords, Allis Chalmers, JD, Farmall, etc) The controls and pedals seemed different to me. I used to think the skinny mufflers they used looked goofy. IDK I just wasn't a fan. They had what today I'd refer to as a "global tractor" look to them. They would rake hay, or do some bush hogging just fine.