Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #11  
Interesting video, I'm glad they are happy doing it their way.
There were and are many reasons tractors took over from horses,
I'm glad they did.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #12  
Pretty raggy looking round bales too.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #13  
Nothing beats horse apples in a round bale...lol 30 grand for a mower that don't crimp seems excessive anyway. Might just as well buy a used sickle bar mower conditioner and add a forecart to it and a Predator engine to power the sickle and crimp rolls. Much cheaper but I guess the Amish have plenty of money to throw away.

Kind of reminds me of the Amish setup to convert rounds to squares. That went over like a lead balloon too.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #14  
His son's old red tractor is not a $20,000 machine by any standard, and the JD 1401 is certainly not brand new. 6 gal per hour on the International sounds like a bad leak or WAY too big a motor to run a mower with. This is where the story falls apart. Plus, the arguments for "hay in a Day" would hold for any hay production system involving just grass.

I also see where he could not turn the machinery around to go back at the swathe in the opposite direction. So, lots of overlap, or what ??
Meanwhile, my electric Ez-Go golf car could tow that rig. Maybe with solar cells on the roof, on a sunny day it might be hard to shut off !!!!

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #15  

If I understood video author correctly he stated he can cut same amount of acres per hour compared to tractor/cutter with his 4 horse pushed 24' sickle mower using 1 quart of gasoline per acre to power the Honda engine. Tractor & disc-bind uses 1 gallon of fuel per acre performing same task.

He forgot to mention amount of time required to harness & hitch 4 horses to mower.
Tx Jim a New Member????

What's up with that?
member since early 07
and almost 10000 posts.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video.
Tx Jim a New Member????

What's up with that?
member since early 07
and almost 10000 posts.
I've explained several months maybe years ago what happened for me to get "new member" status but I guess you didn't read that thread. A good while back(Nov. 2021) I accidently got logged out & try as could I couldn't get logged back in. I registered under a different handle & started posting. I don't remember exactly how but a site moderator noticed this & changed my new handle to old handle but the new member status remained. I never bothered with attempting to get "new member" status changed.

Last edited:
   / Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #17  
I've explained several months maybe years ago what happened for me to get "new member" status but I guess you didn't read that thread. A good while back I accidently got logged out & try as could I couldn't get logged back in. I registered under a different handle & started posting. I don't remember exactly how but a site moderator noticed this & changed my new handle to old handle but the new member status remained. I never bothered with attempting to get "new member" status changed.
Ah Yep, missed that thread.
Then the same thing has probably happened to a few.

Do remember getting locked out a few years back myself.
Think I finally just stumbled on the original security code I used.

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #18  
What I WOULD like to see is a front loader mount of the header of a conventional haybine (like a NH469 or 479) so I can have a bi-directional machine not requiring an additional mower. How do you imagine a rig like that could be cobbled up ? The loader already floats, so shaft power (preferred) and a few mount points are all it would take. I have the mid-pto at 2200 rpm but vertical travel could be a problem. Any brain-storming ideas ? I have the extra mower already. Need to get shaft power off to the left side and a speed change (chain or gearbox)...

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #19  
What I WOULD like to see is a front loader mount of the header of a conventional haybine (like a NH469 or 479) so I can have a bi-directional machine not requiring an additional mower. How do you imagine a rig like that could be cobbled up ? The loader already floats, so shaft power (preferred) and a few mount points are all it would take. I have the mid-pto at 2200 rpm but vertical travel could be a problem. Any brain-storming ideas ? I have the extra mower already. Need to get shaft power off to the left side and a speed change (chain or gearbox)...
Probably just find a tractor with a front 3 point & PTO

/ Anyone interested in speeding up/improving their hay cutting should view the following video. #20  
Buy yourself a Pottenger front mount mower.