Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir
My intention was to make it mount on on the 3PH and feed my PTO pump so tall and thin is doable.
David, I thought I only counted 8 welds for the U's one inside the other but I may be incorrect.
Here is my concept. The dimensions account for the bend allowance of the 1/4 rads so I should get the true outside dimensions.
And thanks again for all the replies, they're giving me some good ideas.

Attachments

• hydraulic reservoir.pdf
    9 KB · Views: 333
   / Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #12  
   / Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #13  
You should be able to build it out of a single piece, instead of two pieces. Shouldn't even be hard if you have a pan brake. My brake doesn't have removable fingers, so I have to be careful. Good excuse to purchase a brake??? I also count 8, but 7 is really easy, and less may be possible? The bottoms would be bends instead of welds if I could chose.
David from jax

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #14  
I'll probably catch alot of flak for this but here goes........I made the reservoir for my homemade logsplitter out of 8" PVC pipe with a cap at each end. I made rubber gaskets to seal all of the fittings. It would fit well with your taller and skinnier requirement. Don't glue the top cap and you won't need to add a filler cap. (This also lets you easily inspect the fluid for......well, whatever you want to inspect it for) Anyone with a drill can build one in less than an hour. Compared to a metal one, it is absurdly cheap to make and will never rust. If you goof something up on the first try, just strip your fittings off of it, throw it over the back fence, and make another one!:D

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #15  
Not trying to disuade you.. but you can get good looking pre-made sumps at TSC.

You could also try adapting an existing small metal container.. like a grease keg.. etc.. or 15g air-up tank.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #16  
Soundguy said:
Not trying to disuade you.. but you can get good looking pre-made sumps at TSC.

You could also try adapting an existing small metal container.. like a grease keg.. etc.. or 15g air-up tank.. etc.

Soundguy

How about a beer keg? It would be a good excuse to go get one and empty it.

I have to agree Soundguy, for the PITA it is, and BTDT, it's just not worth it. I got a tank for my test unit here at the shop and for what it cost, I couldn't even think about building one.

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #17  
I will throw my hat in the Surplus center, surplus direct or something along those lines.

If you are not trying to fit an exact dimension or a goofy space, a "stock" tank makes the most financial sense.

Race car shops also have those type parts available regularly and in various sizes and shapes.

That said, when I build tanks, I try and bend two lips up, ie, on your drawing, add an extra 1/4" to 1/2" lip on the mating sides, and bend them 90 degrees. Then those two lips come together, and are easy to clamp, then I run down them with the Tig Torch.

I hope that makes sense.

Welding things together air and water tight can sometimes be a pain. Certainly obviously do-able, but if you do not do it regularly it can be real frustrating.

Good luck with whichever way you choose.

/ Any Tips on Building Hydraulic Reservoir #18  
I got a friend that builds dune buggies and motorcycle trikes out of VW bugs.. he uses mini gegs for fuel tanks.. looks cool!

soundguy

Wayne County Hose said:
How about a beer keg? It would be a good excuse to go get one and empty it.

I have to agree Soundguy, for the PITA it is, and BTDT, it's just not worth it. I got a tank for my test unit here at the shop and for what it cost, I couldn't even think about building one.