Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60"

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #1  

Firefighter912

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5205 MWFD
Debating on buying one for our farm to mow. I estimate around 3 acres to mow tops. Everything else will be Bush hogged.

I have a spending limit around $4000 and rather get new since it has a warranty.

The ZT2 looks pretty good with the Kawasaki engine, fab deck, armrest, etc.

Plan to make a purchase this week on a zero turn since grass is growing.

Any opinions on it?

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #2  
I prefer the commercial ZTR's, I think your price point is within a mid-hours used commercial mower.

Probably depends how long you plan to keep it, how hard you use it, etc.. I'm sure the Cub is a decent residential mower. But if I had $4K to spend, I'd try to find a good used commercial ZTR, Exmark, Ferris, Hustler, etc..

My $.02.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #3  
The ZT2 is considered a commercial unit. I have the ZT2 50 inch cut. Only used it a few times so far but it's a beast. I bought it to replace my Huskey 24/48 rider. Unlike the Huskey there is no flex in the frame. On grass is no big deal but driving on my gravel road can almost rattle your teeth. Overall I am very happy with it. And I recommend it also.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60"
I did buy the ZT2. It mows great. It hates ant hills, but it goes right through them.

Place I bought it from had 12 hrs on it. I questioned them about it. Didn't look like they mowed with it. Guy said they probably left the key on. Said they gave me a "discount", but it was the same price elsewhere. Oh well. It is a nice mower. Easier to get to everything and let's the heat escape from the engine since it is open frame.

I did bend a blade......stupid metal pipe. Thought there wasn't nothing there. Bent it back some, but cuts like crap on that side. Probably will buy a new blade soon. Get heat on the old blade and straighten it up better eventually.

The little led lights arent that bright on it, but you can still see a little to mow at night. May put a bigger led light bar on it.

I may eventually take off the top little bar over the engine and fab up a roll over bar.

Question, is the 2800 swappable with the 3100 or 3400? I mean I doubt it will go out anytime soon, but I was wondering.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #5  
I did buy the ZT2. It mows great. It hates ant hills, but it goes right through them.

Place I bought it from had 12 hrs on it. I questioned them about it. Didn't look like they mowed with it. Guy said they probably left the key on. Said they gave me a "discount", but it was the same price elsewhere. Oh well. It is a nice mower. Easier to get to everything and let's the heat escape from the engine since it is open frame.

I did bend a blade......stupid metal pipe. Thought there wasn't nothing there. Bent it back some, but cuts like crap on that side. Probably will buy a new blade soon. Get heat on the old blade and straighten it up better eventually.

The little led lights arent that bright on it, but you can still see a little to mow at night. May put a bigger led light bar on it.

I may eventually take off the top little bar over the engine and fab up a roll over bar.

Question, is the 2800 swappable with the 3100 or 3400? I mean I doubt it will go out anytime soon, but I was wondering.

I would replace the bent blade sooner, not later. The slightest vibration can cause damage to the bearings in the blade assembly.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #6  
I am looking at the ZT2 50" also. 60" is too big for my yard.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #7  
I would replace the bent blade sooner, not later. The slightest vibration can cause damage to the bearings in the blade assembly.

Very good advice.

I have over 1100 hours on my Husqvarna rider.....yea sure....Iike your dealer, I left the key on for a longer time one winter,

Looking at the Cub Cadets as well but will likely wait until next year. Buying the LS was enough money for toys in one year. Heard some bad comments on them so trying to keep up on the subject. Keep us posted!

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #8  
I am looking at the ZT2 50" also. 60" is too big for my yard.

I notice this thread is a little outdated, but I got my ZT2 50 last Friday.
I am very happy with it's cut, speed and comfort.
I find it hard to believe it can cut as fast and smooth as it does.
I think you would be happy with it.
I chose the 2 rather than the 1 mostly because of the larger wheels and tires. My yard has a quite a few lumps and bumps and I thought the larger tires would help......they do.
The better transmission is a plus.

/ Any opinions on the Cub Cadet ZT2 60" #9  
THis is an older thread, but thought an update might be useful to someone. I have a 2019 zt2-50, purchased in 2019. I currently have 85 hours on it. The Kawasaki engine has been great. Starts easy and runs good. I generally do not run full throttle, though it may cut a little better at full. It seems to save 25-50% on gas consumption. THe Hydro_gear transmissions have been fine. I just changed the oil and filters on them. The drained oil appeard to be clear, but after refilling and doing the purge action, it is much more responsive. I was disappointed in two things concerning the trans. THere are supposed to be 3 bolts holding the filter protection cover. Mine had two, the third hole had never been drilled in the cover and the trans case had not been tapped. One of the two bolts twisted off even after spending 15 min using penetrating oil and rocking about 1/8 of a turn back and forth. The steel bolts did not have anti-seize threaded into an aluminum case. The other issue was that one of the filters had been cross threaded and apparently to stop it from leaking it was cranked on so tight that I was afraid it would ruin the threads or twist them off getting it off. I was able to get the new filter on correctly after a bit of a struggle. THere is also more end play on both axles than I would have expected. Not sure what the spec is on that. I purchased an extra set of blades so I can keep one set sharp. THe original blades rust quickly, even in the garage, so I replaced them with MAXPOWER blades on Amazon. THey seem to have much better metal, maybe a little nickel it. They don't rust anyway. All in all, I'm satisfied with it so far (3 years). Haven't had to replace the battery yet. Over the winter I start it every month or so and let it run enough to charge the battery. Don't have power in the shed for a charger.