Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #1  

cowboydoc

Tractor
JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer
One of the original Case/IH plants is closing in Moline, IL that makes the bigger tractors and combines. Most of the mfg will be switched to overseas mfgs. Extremely disturbing and heart breaking to keep seeing all of our original tractors being produced by foreigners. I just wonder when, if ever, it will finally stop.

They did a news story on it here and some 30% of the workers at the plant were also farmers that had been long-time Case buyers as well. I really wonder about corporate america.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #2  
The combines are going to be built in Grand Island Nebraska.

The large Case IH Tractors are already built in Racine WI, and the 4 Wheel Drive tractors in Fargo ND.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg.
The news very well could be wrong but they had said that Moline was currently the casting plant for all the major parts. The casting plant would no longer be in production and that would be outsourced to foreign mfgs. I believe the plants you talk about are just assembly and not actually mfg.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #4  
My understanding that the closing was due to decreased demand for combines and the fact that the factory was very old and not able to accomidate todays larger machines. Combines are one area where our domestic products are exported abroad and still able to turn a nice profit.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #5  
Actually the plant is in East Moline, just across the city line from Moline right on the Mississippi River..... just about 3-4 blocks from JOHN DEERE HARVESTER where They build Their combines. There never was a foundry at the E.Moline plant. Strictly sheet metal fabrication equip., welders, presses, shears, etc. and some machining. Yes, They bent up some thick steel bar from time to time. And the assembly lines to make the AXIAL FLOW Combines IH unveiled in 1978. They DID make a LOT of parts for the FARMALL tractor plant just over the west edge of Moline in ROCK ISLAND about four miles away. They made almost all the sheetmetal, cabs, did a little machining. Lot of the work IH/EM did got farmed out (dumped on them really) to IHC Canton, IL. plant in about 1980. Actually the last combine was built towards the end of August, 8-20-04 if I remember right. I worked there for about 6 weeks in 1977, and for the FARMALL tractor plant for just over 5 years from 1976 to 1981. The only other ag. tractor plants IH/Case/IH had were in Louisville, KY, and Racine, WI. Case Construction made tractor loader backhoes in Burlington, IA right north of downtown right on the banks of the Miss River also.
NO BODY on This planet wishes any more than I do that IHC or C/IH was still in business..... I'd be retiring in about TWO more years! I was born and lived about 35 years in that area.....and I bet there was 100 people I knew who worked at that plant, friends, neighbors, etc. The plant was old.... ceilings less than 20 feet off the floor, no room for hoists, or cranes, all the combines had to be built on run-off small dia. tires because they were too tall for the buildings.
Engines when IH owned that plant all came from either Melrose Park, IL IH plant or IHC Nuess Germany Engine plant. After Case/IH took over they used CUMMINS engines. Only foundries IH ran were in Waukesha, WI., Louisville, KY, Memphis, Indy, and maybe one in Canada at the Hamilton Plt. FARMALL had one also until the late 50's or early 60's

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #6  
Powerstroke,

I also was born and raised in the the QC's. The early 80's was a very difficult time for that area, Caterpillar out in Mount Joy closed up, Case in Bettendorf shut-down and many small manufacturing plants that supplied parts for them suffered also. When I go back for visits it's disheartening to see where my Grandfathers farm use to be is now a subdivision instead of the huge barns and acres of corn and soybeans.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #7  
DLGMT - Sure isn't the place WE remember from 1981 that's for sure! Except for Friends & Family the Only reason to go back is (1) Jim's Rib's (2) Frank's Pizza (3) Whitey's Ice Cream. I struggled driving for a contract carrier for a couple years after My last lay-off from FARMALL, then worked for Sivyer Steel in Bettendorf for a couple more...... Finally left the area for greener pastures in 1989. Wife's & My whole family still live in the area. The "Prosperous Decade of the '80's" TOTALLY missed that part of the country.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #9  
Powerstroke, You held-out longer than I did, my wife and I bailed out in 1985 and headed south. We go back and visit both our families when we can, I guess we were fortunate that both of our fathers worked at Alcoa and never faced lay-offs.

/ Another sad day for American tractor/combine mfg. #10  
Some people in the Q-C's have been VERY lucky. Friend of the Wife & I works @ JD Davenport..... Never been laid off except for shut-downs, etc. He can retire in about 2-3 more years..... He should be about 48-49 yrs old by then!
Yep, Nice place to visit......I'll probably retire there....