air cleaner oil type

/ air cleaner oil type #1  

krogers

Tractor
ford jubilee
How touchy is the type of oil needed in the air cleaner? Can I use ATF, power steering oil, gear oil or the multi-grade I'm using in the engine? I was hoping not to need to buy some special oil just for the small amount needed for the cleaner at todays prices. Thanks.

/ air cleaner oil type #2  
I have always just used cheap motor oil 10w30 or such for air filters soak them then wring out its good

/ air cleaner oil type #3  
Used engine oil works fine.

Only reason water isn't used is evaporation/freezing.

/ air cleaner oil type #4  
Wash the oil cup out and fill it to the line with what ever you run in the engine. Also, wad up a CLEAN rag and push it through the center tube to clean it out before putting the cup back on.

/ air cleaner oil type #5  
I have always just used cheap motor oil 10w30 or such for air filters soak them then wring out its good
Assumption on my part. Pretty sure he's talking about an oil bath air cleaner. No material filter to soak an wring out. :)

/ air cleaner oil type
Ya, oil bath. Thanks I was hoping that was the case.

/ air cleaner oil type #7  
We had those old oil bath air cleaners in a couple of our tractors as I was growing up. Always used to put clean engine oil in them - whatever we put in the tractor's engine. Must have worked Ok because those tractors were still running well when my Dad finally sold out many years later.

/ air cleaner oil type
thanks

/ air cleaner oil type #9  
My 1939 Ford 9N manual says to use 30 weight oil unless it is cold. I don't remember how cold but I imagine whatever weight that flows like 30 weight does room temperature. My 1945 Wisconsin engine oil bath air cleaner is supposed to be filled with 30 weight non-detergent motor oil. I have no idea why non-detergent but that's what the engine uses so that's probably why the air cleaner is supposed to use it too.
Eric