Buying Advice advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30 #1  

farmer_wanna_be

Any advice on buying a new NH TC30 or a used NH 1720? The 1720 is 2wd with 375 hours, asking price $6,000 with blade. Looks very clean. Are there any compelling reasons to go with the new TC30 over the used 1720? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra $4,000 to $5,000 for the new TC30. Thanks for your input.

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30 #2  
It depends on what you want to do with the tractor. With a small 2 WD tractor like a 1720 you may have troubles pulling ground engaging implements. If you want to cut grass on smooth flat land a 2 WD will be OK. Give more information on your terrain type and what you want to accomplish and you can get better feedback.

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30
Use will be variable (hogging, using a scrape blade or box scraper, and the like), and I don't anticipate pulling a plow. Ground is level, but often soft and wet. I know 4wd would be prefferable, but I am hesitant to pay the extra $. Decisions, decisions. BTW, to make things more complicated, I may also consider a TC29D.

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30 #4  
I have ground on my land that stays soft and wet also. I try to keep my tractor in 2WD to relieve wear and tear on tires and the drive train. When I do come across those soft wet spots the rear tires ( R-4's) will just spin. I just drop her down in 4WD and out she comes. I think you would be making a mistake not getting 4WD.

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30 #5  
Removing price from the equation, I would tend to lean towards the TC30. It is a smaller frame tractor and it would have the option of 4WD.

But, the 1720 will probably do most everything that you need to do for a significant price savings.

Head votes for the 1720, heart votes for the TC30.

Ironically, I had to think about the TC30 the other day. My neighbor is a truck driver and parks his truck along the street. Earlier this week he had a crated, New Holland TC30 with R4 tires against the bulkhead of his flatbed trailer. The tractor was obviously to be delivered to a dealer...maybe yours. As I passed the tractor I had to think to myself how good a tractor that little TC30 is.

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Use will be variable (hogging, using a scrape blade or box scraper, and the like), and I don't anticipate pulling a plow. Ground is level, but often soft and wet. I know 4wd would be prefferable, but I am hesitant to pay the extra $. Decisions, decisions. BTW, to make things more complicated, I may also consider a TC29D. )</font>

Having had a 1710 (earlier version of 1720) for many years I'll tell you that in my opinion you'll deeply regret not getting 4wd. The minute you say soft and wet, I say 2wd equals stuck or ground very torn up. A box blade is difficult enough to pull in 4wd let alone 2wd. As I've said before, unless all I was doing was mowing and pulling waagons I would never to back to a 2wd. Also neither the 1720, TC30 or TC29 weigh much so you don't have the advantage a Utility tractor has in 2wd. Hope this helps.

Andy

/ advice NH 1720 vs NH TC30
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Removing price from the equation, I would tend to lean towards the TC30. It is a smaller frame tractor and it would have the option of 4WD.

But, the 1720 will probably do most everything that you need to do for a significant price savings.

Head votes for the 1720, heart votes for the TC30.)</font>

You nailed it. My head (and wallet) says 1720. My heart says TC30.

Thanks for the input from everyone. May I'll save up my pennies and wait for the TC.