93 octane fuel in a low compression engine

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #11  
You definitely do NOT want to use gas with Ethanol in it. It will destroy your carb O-rings and gaskets. Locate and buy the 91 octane fuel and ad some of the additives that are designed for older engines that originally used leaded fuel.

Your pockit book will thank you.

Richard
I run ethanol in my 76 model truck for 7 years straight. 55 miles to work, one way. After 7 years I finally had to put a wrench on it, I blew a tire. I went ahead and took carb down because of all that so bad ethanol. I just put it back together, everything was fine. Did not put a kit in it, just put it back on the engine and kept going.

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #12  
You definitely do NOT want to use gas with Ethanol in it. It will destroy your carb O-rings and gaskets. Locate and buy the 91 octane fuel and ad some of the additives that are designed for older engines that originally used leaded fuel.

Richard
What O-rings do you think there might be in a gravity fed tractor?

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #13  

Richard

There isn't that much alcohol in regular unleaded, it is no more than 10%. The issues with materials incompatibility show up at higher concentrations, usually 25% or more. Basically when you get to the point where you have to change jetting is when you may start to have issues. We're dealing with at most 10% alcohol here, not E85 or methanol racing fuel.

I looked at the MSDS sheets of a few lead substitute products. They are mostly just aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons designed to offer a small octane boost, although some like STP put other organometallics like ferrocene in there for the same reason. Ferrocene can cause iron-containing deposits inside of the engine. I would skip that stuff.

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #14  
I've been running reg. station pump gas in my 1950 Fordson for the past 35 years. Not an issue. I do need to exercise the fuel jet needle after a long layover however. 1/4 twist out, then 1/4 twist in. (It's a thumb screw)
Best power in winter is with the screw out an additional 1/4 turn anyway.

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #15  
If it was my tractor I would be using regular gas 87 octane
without the corn juice and check wally world for an additive
with lead supplement to help save the valves

willy

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #16  
What O-rings do you think there might be in a gravity fed tractor?
Well lets see, O-ring on the main fuel jet adjustment, the O-ring on the low speed fuel jet adjustment, the possible rubber like seat for the float needle, and the float bowl to carb housing seal.

Richard

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #17  
If it was my tractor I would be using regular gas 87 octane
without the corn juice and check wally world for an additive
with lead supplement to help save the valves

willy

87 octane without ethanol may or may not be available where the OP lives. Here in Missouri it is not legal to sell anything other than 91+ octane premium gasoline without any ethanol in it- all 87 and 89 octane gasoline must have some ethanol in it. The best information I can find is that LA, MI, MT, OR, PA, and WA also have similar rules. Buying 91 octane without ethanol here costs about 40% more per gallon than regular unleaded and there usually are only one or two stations in an entire county that carry it- very similar to buying off-road diesel at a pump.

/ 93 octane fuel in a low compression engine #18  
WELL you can tell the gov stepped in!!!!!!!!!!!
they screw up everything they touch or come in contact with

willy