8x6.5 wheels - 1/2" vs 9/16" lug holes, clarification

/ 8x6.5 wheels - 1/2" vs 9/16" lug holes, clarification #1  

rice_harvester

Tractor
kx121 mini x, new holland, skid steers,
I'm looking / hoping for clarification from those with more 8-lug 16in "wheel" experience.... a friend told me he is planning on using 9/16 hole wheels on a (~7k axles) equipment trailer with the smaller 1/2" lug studs. This seems a little crazy to me relying on the nuts to perhaps center things- but it is a small difference , maybe I'm wrong.

I'm the one offering to give/sell him the 9/16 wheels, but only if that's the right way to do it..

I know that the studs can be easily changed out (but buying all new studs= the cost certainly seems to add up, as does the time invested - to the point where he is better off tracking down the 1/2 hole wheels in my perspective)

Same concept in some "vintage" pickups, (maybe?) pre 93 dodge and definitely some pre 79 ford had the 8x6.5 & 1/2" lugs too, I believe.

Anyone have a definitive answer on whether this is acceptable, or further input on this? thanks in advance!

/ 8x6.5 wheels - 1/2" vs 9/16" lug holes, clarification #2  
7k trailer axles use both sizes as do the wheels. They are both stud centric. They will be fine.