870 clutch job

/ 870 clutch job #1  

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
I scored an IT manual but havnt looked at it yet. The linkage is tight, brought it to the shop. I did look at a drawing a flash but see lotso parts. Thing will barely move in low gears and not at all in higher ones. I cant be the first guy to ever work on one of these, anyone want to give anything up before I start with it.

/ 870 clutch job #2  
What do you mean by "linkage is tight"? Like zero free play in the pedal, or the resistance when operating the pedal feels like you think it should/shouldn't?

/ 870 clutch job
Drive clutch was blown right out of it. I had to adjust the fingers on the new about all the way, thyey added some bend tabs on replacement top secure them and the tyhickness puts it right to the limit, the adjustment is now all the other way on the linkage. I am now to the front mfwd shaft, seems like an adventure to install this with all the little balls and under so much spring tension. Wonder if it could be tensioned after?
Yes, zero play in the pedal, could see it blown thru the inspection hole. PTO clutch in great shape, but complete kit show up in the mail a day ago.

/ 870 clutch job #4  
I rank splitting any unit (especially one with a cab), high on my priority list of tasks not to do. Why both of mine are no clutch hydraulic shuttle drives. Eliminating the dry clutch, basically eliminates splitting unless the pto wet pack is toast, then that entails a split to renew that.

/ 870 clutch job
I dont mind splits terrible, I am rigged to do it and most sucks is the oil handling and drips. I would like to do the same model twice in reasonable time. I am part time and not dealer so every job is a new experience. We took a couple hrs and adapted/built brackets for rolling it and spent some time on the drive shaft tool. I worked a day too long and we got tired and caught up fiddling with the join, came back next day and pushed it together.
If I had the helper could do it in 2 work days if I did it next week.
I work on a lot has already been worked on, had to line item some stuff back together which can be slow. No one can use special length bolts like deere can.