8 n tractor

/ 8 n tractor #1  

Jerry Hen

Tractor
8 N Ford Tractor
Tractor runs rough, backfires under load then quits...starts right back up and always starts fine when cold

/ 8 n tractor #2  
Change condensor until you find a good one. Maybe something else.

/ 8 n tractor #3  
If it starts fine cold, with no choke, you could lean it out a bit.

If you drain the bowl does the fuel flow well or does it dump the contents and slow to a drip?

If there is an obstruction between the tank and bowl, you could get into a situation where it runs fine, then dies. Once the bowl fills back up again, you can repeat.

/ 8 n tractor #5  
I've had a bad condenser do this...

No power under load but idled fine.

Also have experienced fuel flow restrictions where start and idle good but would stumble/die shortly after getting underway...

/ 8 n tractor
If it starts fine cold, with no choke, you could lean it out a bit.

If you drain the bowl does the fuel flow well or does it dump the contents and slow to a drip?

If there is an obstruction between the tank and bowl, you could get into a situation where it runs fine, then dies. Once the bowl fills back up again, you can repeat.
Bowl seems to fill up good...some people have suggested condenser or points...all were new 3 years ago

/ 8 n tractor #8  
If I have points problems its generally on our early 8n with the front distributor. My Father came up with this solution years ago, using AC to clean the points. No telling how many hours it has saved over the years. If it flashes the bulb, you can look somewhere else for the problem.

/ 8 n tractor
Your dad was pretty clever!!!!!..Those front distributers are not easy to get to