709 Backhoe vertical stabilizer removal

/ 709 Backhoe vertical stabilizer removal #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I've got a hydraulic fluid leak in one of the vertical stabilizers on my 709 backhoe attachment. I need to drop it out to get the seal repaired. I've figured out the top end - remove lines, remove snap rings and drive out the pin.
I removed the snap rings and started driving the pin out, just to make sure it's not seized in there. I stopped at this point to work on getting the bottom pin out. After digging out the dirt & grease with a small punch and then flushing with a hose to improve visibility I cannot see how to disconnect the bottom. The is no visible snap ring or other sort of retainer at this point. What's the key to removing the stabilizer ram for seal repair?

/ 709 Backhoe vertical stabilizer removal
Had to torch the foot off of the stabilizer and pull the whole cylinder through the bottom of the square tube. We could see where there used to be snap rings on the shaft that runs through the bottom of the ram, but there were long gone. The shaft is frozen in, no amount of hammering got it out. It's going to a friend's shop to be heated & pressed out. Then after all packings have been replace we'll put it back together and re weld the foot. Probably add some weep holes in the bottom also. The square tube was packed solid (like coal) with dirt and old hydraulic fluid. Someone had cobbled this thing back together at some point. We'll have it right when it goes back together.

/ 709 Backhoe vertical stabilizer removal #3  
Okay, so we had a similar problem. Our left vertical stabilizer was leaking a steady stream of H fluid. We disconnected hoses, took clips off both sides of upper and lower pins. Upper pin could be knocked out easily, but not lower pin. We removed upper pin and lifted up backhoe attachment so foot would slide out of housing w cylinder inside. Then we cleaned lower pin area and attempted to tap it out. It will move a little each way, but won't come out. I guess we will also have to have lower pin pressed out? I'm guessing lower pin is like upper pin - solid metal cylinder with a round clip at each end to hold it in place, correct?