50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #1  

aapuzzo

Tractor
Mahindra Max 24
I called the dealer where I bought my Mahindra Max 24 and asked for all the parts needed to do my 50 hour service after receiving a $1,200 quote with transportation for them to do the work. The parts came to under $200 with all fluids.

Once I started performing the repairs with the Excellent Mahindra manual (really impressed) I noticed I may have not needed all the stuff the dealer sold me for the 50 hour interval. It seams I only needed to do oil and the fuel filter based on what I read.

1) I already did the oil, fuel filter which state 50 hours for first service and also did the front Axle even though it states 100 hours. Next I noticed the the hydraulic and HST filter had a 100 hours initial service interval but not the fluid????
2) Going forward the manual says to replace HST and hydraulic filters at 300 hours and fluid 200 hours. This seems silly to me. Wouldn't you want to replace filters more than fluid or just do both at the same time? I would think replacing both filters and fluid at 200 or 300 hours makes the most sense.

Should I replace everything now at 50 hours or wait the 100 hours? I don't want to start changing fluids if some initial wear is still taking place. Did my dealer not read the manual? I don't want to replace everything again in 50 hours. What would you do?

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #2  
Interesting intervals for sure! Most folks do all the fluids and filters at 50 hours. Then every 200-300 hours after that. It sounds like the dealer is thinking the same thing. I’m wondering if the manual has a typo!?!?

With those big castings and all the machining it’s safest to change that at 50 hours.

Then I would do fluid and filters at the same time. I don’t see a good reason to have staggered intervals.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #3  
Hydraulic fluid is typically rated at 300-400 hours before it needs to be changed. You can do it sooner but you are probably wasting money/time. Really, hydraulic filters are the most important early on. Recent tractors I have owned call for hydraulic filters at 50 hours, presumably to deal with metal left over from manufacturing, but then the next filter change, and the first fluid change, might not be for hundreds of hours later.

I would double check the maintenance charts -- they can be confusing on some of these Japanese built machines (I believe the Max is a Mitsubishi tractor). Sometimes they have one set of charts for normal long term maintenance, but then some asterisks or separate instructions for the 50 hour service that will supercede the normal maintenance schedule. In other words, they will say to do it this way on this schedule, then you'll see some additional advice and requirements for the first 50 hour service.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24
Hydraulic fluid is typically rated at 300-400 hours before it needs to be changed. You can do it sooner but you are probably wasting money/time. Really, hydraulic filters are the most important early on. Recent tractors I have owned call for hydraulic filters at 50 hours, presumably to deal with metal left over from manufacturing, but then the next filter change, and the first fluid change, might not be for hundreds of hours later.

I would double check the maintenance charts -- they can be confusing on some of these Japanese built machines (I believe the Max is a Mitsubishi tractor). Sometimes they have one set of charts for normal long term maintenance, but then some asterisks or separate instructions for the 50 hour service that will supercede the normal maintenance schedule. In other words, they will say to do it this way on this schedule, then you'll see some additional advice and requirements for the first 50 hour service.

This tractor has an * special note for hydraulic filters at 100 hours and 300 hours there after but no * note for hydraulic fluid which states 200 hours. That' s how i came up with the staggering which seems stupid. I will always do those at the same time. After that I'll just find a nice day in the 200-300 hours range when I feel in the mood. I'm on the fence right now for doing the filters and fluid since I am only at 55 hours and maybe the manufacturer was onto something knowing initial wear takes place in the first 100 hours. I rather just get it over with at this point this morning since I have all the tools outside to do the work. I couldn't fill the tractor back up yesterday because I realized I needed a hand pump to fill the hydraulic fluid into the axle since it comes in a 5 gallon bucket.

So far it sounds like the vote would be to do everything now at 50 hours and go to normal maintenance schedule after doing filters and fluid at the same time.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #5  
I have the Max28xl shuttle. Manual also called for changing fluid at 100 hours, which is what I did. I have 250 hours on it and have had no problems with hydraulics. If mine were HST, I might err on side of changing oil and filter early, though. Cheap insurance.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #6  
I called the dealer where I bought my Mahindra Max 24 and asked for all the parts needed to do my 50 hour service after receiving a $1,200 quote with transportation for them to do the work. The parts came to under $200 with all fluids.

Once I started performing the repairs with the Excellent Mahindra manual (really impressed) I noticed I may have not needed all the stuff the dealer sold me for the 50 hour interval. It seams I only needed to do oil and the fuel filter based on what I read.

1) I already did the oil, fuel filter which state 50 hours for first service and also did the front Axle even though it states 100 hours. Next I noticed the the hydraulic and HST filter had a 100 hours initial service interval but not the fluid????
2) Going forward the manual says to replace HST and hydraulic filters at 300 hours and fluid 200 hours. This seems silly to me. Wouldn't you want to replace filters more than fluid or just do both at the same time? I would think replacing both filters and fluid at 200 or 300 hours makes the most sense.

Should I replace everything now at 50 hours or wait the 100 hours? I don't want to start changing fluids if some initial wear is still taking place. Did my dealer not read the manual? I don't want to replace everything again in 50 hours. What would you do?
I have been unable to locate the HST filter on my Max 24. Can you tell me where you found it? I purchased the service manual and know the location of the oil, hydraulic and fuel filters but, not the HST. The svc manual does speak to it but, not the location of it.
Any help would be appreciated.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #7  
on the 26 its near the passenger rear tire up under the floorboard.

/ 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #8  
I have a Kubota, not a Mahindra. But when I did the 50 hour service, the manual stated to just change the hydraulic filter, not the fluid. I did that, lost about 1/2 quart and topped it off. On the old filter there is a magnetic ring that is supposed to capture loose machining metal chips. It was almost clean with a few small metal flakes, nothing to be concerned about. In my case, it would have been a complete waste and significant expense to dump that much crystal clean hydraulic fluid at 50 hours. I think I would follow manual instructions and change at the recommended interval if the filter magnet does show much metallic material.

Last edited:
   / 50 hour service question for Mahindra Max 24 #9  
Is it a Max 24 or eMax24. If it’s a Max 24 it’s where LittleBill21 said. It’s up behind right rear tire fender.