4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain!

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #1  

BC Dave

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM180D
howdy doo-dy :)

Good ning; depending on when ya read dis; Haven't tuned in here in a while and was thinkin of ya all lately!

... was plowing this deep-ish 1.5' hard refroze corn snow with the front end loader on the YM 180D; all wheels spinning; front wheels digging in; rear wheels have chains; back wheels floating until they spin, then dig a hole; and the universal roll shear pin (oem?)sold by Hoye T broke again (this is the 4th time Ive replaced the pin). I imagine Im putting too much torque on the front pilot drive shaft, in the spinning. So can this small roll pin be replaced with something else that's less likely to break? I have already replaced the roll pin in a warmer afternoon at -5C on a tarp on my back with the same replacement roll pin; and I added a smaller pin inside the purchased one. Its a pain in the neck and back to replace; remove 2 boot clamps; pull heavy duty hard frozen 1/2 " rubber boot back with FEL bottom brace in the way; remove C clip & safety wire holding C clip snug; remove broken or missing pin this time?; line up;

Also not 100& sure exactly how the 4WD engages; but looks like something to do with the propeller shaft sliding forward to engage the front 4WD?; had the front wheels off the ground and blocked to replace the pin but couldn't get the 4WD to catch (engage) while in the air; explanations?

... and another thing that I've noticed there is a (gear?) ticking sound when in 1st gear but not in other gears. Ideas?

suggestions appreciated best BC Dave

Last edited:
   / 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #2  
Don't know whether you have the manual or not. Not sure what pins you used. Original were 22351-035032 (3.5x32) and 22351-060032 (6x32) Hoye stocks both piins.

Attachments

• 2023-02-02-061555.jpg
    2023-02-02-061555.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 2023-02-02-061555_2.jpg
    2023-02-02-061555_2.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
   / 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #3  
McMaster-Carr has all sizes and strengths for roll-pins. Since it's a Yanmar it's METRIC.

Scroll down the listing to find the right size. At times I can find these locally at an autoparts or hardware store that sells Hillman fasteners too.

1675388614498.png

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #4  

Good ning; depending on when ya read dis; Haven't tuned in here in a while and was thinkin of ya all lately!

... was plowing this deep-ish 1.5' hard refroze corn snow with the front end loader on the YM 180D; all wheels spinning; front wheels digging in; rear wheels have chains; back wheels floating until they spin, then dig a hole; and the universal roll shear pin (oem?)sold by Hoye T broke again (this is the 4th time Ive replaced the pin). I imagine Im putting too much torque on the front pilot drive shaft, in the spinning. So can this small roll pin be replaced with something else that's less likely to break? I have already replaced the roll pin in a warmer afternoon at -5C on a tarp on my back with the same replacement roll pin; and I added a smaller pin inside the purchased one. Its a pain in the neck and back to replace; remove 2 boot clamps; pull heavy duty hard frozen 1/2 " rubber boot back with FEL bottom brace in the way; remove C clip & safety wire holding C clip snug; remove broken or missing pin this time?; line up;

Also not 100& sure exactly how the 4WD engages; but looks like something to do with the propeller shaft sliding forward to engage the front 4WD?; had the front wheels off the ground and blocked to replace the pin but couldn't get the 4WD to catch (engage) while in the air; explanations?

... and another thing that I've noticed there is a (gear?) ticking sound when in 1st gear but not in other gears. Ideas?

From Winston's posting, the parts manuals says,
1675388798322.png

6mm x 32mm

3.5mm x 32mm
Such an odd size. they have a 3.1mm too loose and a 4.0 to thick unless you can pound it in there. hmmm

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain!
okee dok; thanks for the replies; roll pin looks like a galvanized one; its fits loose; so you need the C clip to hold it in place; and I twist some bailing wire on the c clip end holes so the pin cant push out; when I replaced on 22Jan23 at -5C; c clip was still wired shut but couldn't find any remanence of a roll pin in there ... odd chewed to bits and all fell out? Roll pin looks standard; not like the the end view on that McMaster-Carr chart above; interesting too see THAT end view looks a whole lot heavy duty-er; than the regular ol rol pin sold to me by Hoye tractor; think I got a 3 pack; ones left ... humm further ideas; is Aron still at Hoye? I hear they sold out.

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #6  

Yes, you can replace it with something stronger. Then you can complain about a broken axle.

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain!
Yes, you can replace it with something stronger. Then you can complain about a broken axle.
Yes agree, I was thinking stronger would create a bigger problem, but not convinced I have the right pins. The roll pins I was sole are a pipe with a slit in it design not like the jelly role design (lol, for lack of better description) posted by bmaverick above in the McMaster-Car listings; the tractor is in a remote location 500 kms away, so don't have access to the pin or I take a caliper out and measure but remember it being a loose fit when installing.

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #8  
Maybe holes worn. Sloppy fit would make pin more likely to shear. Both pins and hole should have a tight fit. I have to believe the pins Hoye sells are the correct pins.

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #9  
Yes agree, I was thinking stronger would create a bigger problem, but not convinced I have the right pins. The roll pins I was sole are a pipe with a slit in it design not like the jelly role design (lol, for lack of better description) posted by bmaverick above in the McMaster-Car listings; the tractor is in a remote location 500 kms away, so don't have access to the pin or I take a caliper out and measure but remember it being a loose fit when installing.
You may can get by with No Grade bolts. If they fit kind of loose, hammer a little flat place in it. A no grade bolt may be a little stronger than a roll pin, but I wouldn't do any more than a no grade. Keep several, they're cheap. Plus have a nice punch to knock it out on location when it shears again. A hollow roll pin is to keep something together that is splined. A true rolled pin is for your situation, in which it is a shear pin, holding two smooth shafts together. Even if you do end up using NG boots, I'd still look for some rolled pins. If they do fit a little loose, put one on top of a lift arm and smack it a time or two, put it in. The hollow pins, I have stood them vertical and tapped a flat screwdriver in the slit on one end. Started the other end in the hole. Tapped in with the spread end being the end I tap, and it will stay. But, we are getting away from hollow pins, right? Also on bolts, you can put one cross ways flat horizontal in the vise Jaws. Grinder with thin cut off wheel, cut half in two length wise. That will make it weaker. Nobody likes a broke axle, I haven't found that fella yet. I think I have given enough ideas to keep your brain buzzing for a little while. Let us know which way you go.

/ 4WD drive pilot universal shear pin YM 180D broke aaagain! #10  
The sizes are listed in Winston's post from the Parts Manual. No need to measure. ;) That's why I screen captured and posted.

That odd size of 3.5mm diameter isn't common. The best is 3.1mm at M-C.

No bolts would ever fit in those holes. Those are about the size of a pencil lead for the 3.5mm and almost the size diameter of a pencil itself for the other.