Price Check '49 Harry Ferguson price?

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #1  

HGM

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM2000
\'49 Harry Ferguson price?

A friend of mine has a '49 Harry Ferguson TO-20 that he is going to sell. It was refurbished about 8-10yrs ago from what I remember. Everything runs great with no smoke. The lift is sensitive for some reason, it works, though with little movement of the valve it will go full travel. Leaking seal maybe.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyhow, he asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him that I thought $2500 was a reasonable price. What do you guys think? How would you advertise it to get the best exposeure?

Thanks for your help.

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #2  
Re: \'49 Harry Ferguson price?

I think $2500 would be a good price for the seller. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue"> ""The lift is sensitive for some reason, it works, though with little movement of the valve it will go full travel. Leaking seal maybe...."" </font>

That is the way the lift is 'designed' to work. There is no 'position' control feedback linkage.
I know, as I had a TO-30 and thought the same thing, and made several attempts to find the solution. Apparently, when Harry Ferguson separated from Ford and went their separate ways (if I remember right), Harry couldn't use the internal control linkage in his Ferguson tractor, that the 8-N Ford had. The left brake on the left side was another 'unfortunate' difference.
But, in spite of not having position control, I enjoyed my TO-30. I liked the extra HP it had too. One learned to brake with the left heel while clutching with the left toe tip at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price?

So, you think its too high of price? What would be reasonable?

He told me that it was less sensitive before he replaced the lift gasket due to a leak. He thinks there may be something loose in the bottom of the trans since he had it appart. Not sure here???

Anyhow, thanks for your input.

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #4  

Don't take me the wrong way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I think if the motor is good, the brakes work, the tranny doesn't have a 'slipping' gear, and the 3pt lifts, $2500 is what he should be asking. Can always go down.
Collectors will likely be interested, and the ones looking for a decent work machine should expect to pay this too. If it is in need of 'fixin up', then a lower price is warranted - but just my opinion.

Stands to reason the the 3pt is more sensative (I take that as quicker to respond) after the leaky gasket was fixed. If he says it actually had position control before he repaired it, I would question that. And I could be wrong, as my TO-30 may have been older than this TO-20.

Good luck helping him sell it.

ok, good deal, I'll let him know. Thanks again.

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #6  

I have a Ferguson TO-20 tractor also. It may be a common problem on that model/age tractor, but my TO-20 does not have any position control. Push the 3PH lever down to about middle way, and the 3PH will either go very slowly up or very slowly down. Move it a fraction of an inch, 1/100 of an inch either way, and it will still go either up or down slowly.
I do not think these tractors had a position control. You either have the 3PH all the way up or all the way down.

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #7  

I just wanted to clear up a misconception here. The "Ferguson System" (3 pt hitch) when used on most of the Ferguson tractors and all the Ford 8N, 9N etc made in the early 50s and late 40s did not have position control on their 3 pt hitch system. It wasn't until Ferguson joined with Massey Harris that position control was included in the "Ferguson System". I believe the exception to this is the Ferguson 35 (later renamed Massey Ferguson 35) made in the mid 50s, I think it had position control.

Interesting, I'll surely let him know.. For some reason he thinks it was less sensitive, it may go back to the fact that now it works properly. Maybe he needs to put the leak back in it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ '49 Harry Ferguson price? #9  

I paid 2500 for a 56. It runs good. I seem to have a third gear that is hard to get going. Might be slipping. But 2500 is okay as long as it does not need 500 in parts to get running.