Mowing 48" or 60" mower?

/ 48" or 60" mower? #1  

nater

Tractor
Power Trac 422
48\" or 60\" mower?

Anybody own the 48" finish mower for the 4xx? While I realize the 60" provides speed of mowing, does the 48" give a better cut with more maneuverability? I don't mind the extra few minutes of mowing time, but we do have lots of small sloping areas that I would think the 48" would handle better.
Thanks.

Nate

/ 48" or 60" mower? #2  
Re: 48\" or 60\" mower?

If you don't mind the extra time the smaller unit will do a better job, and will save you a few dollars for more toys!

KCook

/ 48" or 60" mower? #3  

When I was looking at the 42x machines at PT last week, Sean indicated that the smaller deck would result in a more stable machine as a whole when mowing on slopes. If you have a lot of slopes to mow you're probably correct in considering the 48" deck.

Scott

/ 48" or 60" mower? #4  

I don't have a Power Trac, but I believe in using the largest mowing deck that a tractor can handle. Why spend all that money on a heavy duty machine and then choose a mower deck that is smaller than what you can get on a $3000 lawn tractor. I chose the 60" deck over the 54" when I had a BX220, and I chose the 72" mmm over the 60" when I got my B2910. I have no doubt that those were the right choices..... By the way, I see no difference in the "quality" of cut on my lawn with the 72" deck vs. the "60". Then again, I don't examine my lawn with a microscope...... With the front mount of the PT, I do not believe you would notice any significant loss of maneuverability.... As to stability on slopes, I see it a different way. If the center of mass of the PT mower deck is below the vertical center of gravity of the tractor, a larger and heavier deck should increase stability not decrease it. (As long as you don't raise the mower, that is.) Also, shouldn't a wider deck also serve as better physical preventive against roll overs than a narrower deck--like the pontoon outriggers on narrow boat.

/ 48" or 60" mower? #5  
Re: 48

Glennmac: You wrote
<font color=red>"As to stability on slopes, I see it a different way. If the center of mass of the PT mower deck is below the vertical center of gravity of the tractor, a larger and heavier deck should increase stability not decrease it. (As long as you don't raise the mower, that is.) Also, shouldn't a wider deck also serve as better physical preventive against roll overs than a narrower deck--like the pontoon outriggers on narrow boat." </font color=red>

I think your observations are right. On a Power Trac, however, with minimal rollover risk to begin with, the concern is not the potential for rollover. Power Trac decks are heavily built, and the bigger deck is more likely to get the front of the mower sliding sideways. Correction is by turning the front uphill, which, of course turns the back downhill. It's not dramatic, and slowing down helps, but as with any machine, there are traction limits.
"Stability" might not be the best word to use, since most of us probably associate that term with rollover, rather than directional control and sideslide. The bigger deck may tend to reduce slope holding capability and maneuverability on steep slopes, but should not increase the risk of rollover.

/ 48" or 60" mower? #6  

I agree that the largest deck possible is the way to go for me too.

I don't think the deck would help as far as a physical preventive, unless it was out of the float position. I think if the tractor did start to roll, and the lift was in float, the desk would just raise the front lift arms up as the tractor turned over.

/ 48" or 60" mower? #7  

MossRoad, you've got me really puzzling over whether the arms would float up if the tractor started to roll. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. We may need our TBN physics and engineering staff.......I'm thinking two things:.......First, as the tractor rolls to the right, the right lift arm would want to lift up. But as the lift arms lift, the left side of the mower deck, no longer supported by the ground, would begin to pull down on the left lift arm. Assuming the two lift arms are connected, there might be a balancing of forces between the upward force on the right lift arm and the downward gravity force on the left lift arm. The tractor doesn't roll until the left side gravitational force is overcome. If that is correct, then the wider the deck, the more resistance on the left side because the lever arm of the left deckside is longer........ Second thought. For the lift arms to raise, the thing on the end of the lift arms (bucket, mower) must trace a circular arc back toward the tractor. As long as the mower deck is touching the ground, it can't trace an arc back to the tractor unless the tractor itself jacknifes on the lift arm pivot points. If this is correct, the rear weight of the tractor will also prevent the lift arms from lifting. ...... But...... I'm sure not sure.

/ 48" or 60" mower? #8  

Nater:
I have owned a pt422 for a little over two years and about all I have to mow is hillside. Power trac recommended the 48 inch mower when I purchased it because of the hills, they told me power to run the 60 inch mower might be a problem. I'm glad I went with their advice because if you are mowing up the hill you have to open up the gas and really ease up on the treddle i'm talking about a 20 degree slope, it would depend on the slope of your hills and which direction you will be mowing. I don't think there would be much difference in the cut or the handling between the 48 and 60 inch mowers. Also you should consider trees and other obstacles you will be mowing around, I know I mow places with the 48 inch mower that I could not get into with the 60. I mow about 5 acres with the 48 inch mower in about 3.5 hours, mostly rough hillside we call our lawn, my personal advice for your size lot the 48 inch should do nicely and like mentioned in another post ,less money spent; more for another attachment. Also beware I noticed you have a cocker spaniel, mine just loves to ride on our power trac.