4540 PTO Not Working

/ 4540 PTO Not Working #1  

ASI

Tractor
Montana 4540
Hey Guys. Ran my 4540 Montana ito a ditch a while back. The PTO started running continuously. It wouldn't shut off. About 3 or 4 months ago, it just stopped running completely. I've checked all obvious things. I am getting power to the solenoid behind the right foot plate. The solenoid is a cube with a shaft going through it. It seems that the solenoid is not engaging what it is supposed to be engaging. The montana dealer said it's more than likely an electrical issue, since very rarely he said, does something mechanically break on the inside. Everything else on the tractor is in good working order. Just this darn PTO. Any suggestions or solutions would be great. Thanks

/ 4540 PTO Not Working #2  
Can the solenoid be removed and checked out? If this is what engages the PTO, and you have switched voltage there, then the next step is to see if that unit works. Not being sure how it is set up, would you be able to remove it and manually manually place the pto in and out?

/ 4540 PTO Not Working
Sackett2... Yes, the solenoid can be removed and I am going to check the voltage on it in the morning. I'm not sure, though, if the PTO can be manually engaged, as I have never tried it. The shaft that goes through the solenoid seems to be in an unmoveable, stationary position. I'm thinking that the solenoid should be moving this shaft in and out magnetically somehow? Maybe this shaft has frozen up? Another note... When the solenoid is switched off, it can move freely around this shaft. When it is switched on, it grabs the shaft and will not move. So I can't really figure out what the actual "role" of the shaft is. I can also upload some pics if that would be of any help. Thanks for the help.

/ 4540 PTO Not Working #4  
Pictures would help. Ill try to compare them to my 4344 hst. when the rain stops.

A solenoid (generally) is a electromagnetic actuator. So you would want to see electrically at the actuator voltage, (and I'm guessing here) with the PTO on, and no voltage when the PTO is off. If you don't see a change of voltage then we would look harder at the switch circuit.
If you do see voltage then something mechanically needs to happen. I would speculate that the solenoid/actuator has corrosion or a short. By removing it you may be able to see the mechanical action needed; and MAY be able to bench test the actuator off the tractor to see if its working at all.

Last edited:
   / 4540 PTO Not Working #5  
I'm having same problem with my 3840 have power to solenoid and it clicks grab shaft but not that had I can still turn it shaft doesn't seem to want to move at all even tapping on it lightly tried to rotate shaft still nothing moves my power works just like you said 12 volts when on no volts when off, I just had to rebuild engine but never went into tranny at all my tractor is a shuttle shift any help would be appreciated. Also I can't take solenoid off cause the diff lock pedal arm is in the way any ideas how to get shaft and solenoid out do I need to tear tranny apart?