4500Z died of fuel starvation.

/ 4500Z died of fuel starvation. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
Full tank of fresh gasoline. Tank, and lines had been flushed this past summer. Fuel pump fuse good. electric connection at pump 12.45V. Removed pump and direct connected to 12V and nothing. Of course the tractor was about 1/4 mile away from the shop tools. However, way back soon after I bought this Ventrac a thread on this forum mentioned that the fuel pump in this model was not reliable. So, I bought a generic spare from Amazon. The spare did not have the correct electric connection, but transfer of the original connection to the spare pump was easy using those pre-tinned heat shrink inline connecions. Fired right up and worked several hours shreading oak and chestnut leaves so that they don't kill the grass. I will order another OE pump tomorrow.

prs

/ 4500Z died of fuel starvation.
Full tank of fresh gasoline. Tank, and lines had been flushed this past summer. Fuel pump fuse good. electric connection at pump 12.45V. Removed pump and direct connected to 12V and nothing. Of course the tractor was about 1/4 mile away from the shop tools. However, way back soon after I bought this Ventrac a thread on this forum mentioned that the fuel pump in this model was not reliable. So, I bought a generic spare from Amazon. The spare did not have the correct electric connection, but transfer of the original connection to the spare pump was easy using those pre-tinned heat shrink inline connecions. Fired right up and worked several hours shreading oak and chestnut leaves so that they don't kill the grass. I will order another OE pump tomorrow.

prs
Follow-up: When I called my dealership to price the OE fuel pump, I was told $140.00 plus tax. I thanked him kindly. Ordered another generic for $11.59 with free shipping plus tax. They are same/similar low pressure pumps, but I will have to adapt the electric connection if/when I need it.

prs

/ 4500Z died of fuel starvation. #3  
(I haven't logged in here in a while. We got hit very hard by a "bow echo" storm on the 12th of July of this year. Lots of trees got damaged or destroyed. Still picking up the pieces. I hope everyone is well.)

prs, I think what I would do if I were in your situation is to make up a short wire harness that has, at one end, the connector or connectors that your generic replacement pump needs, and that has, at the other end, connectors like those on the OEM pump and that will mate with the connector or connectors on your 4500Z's wiring harness that feed current to the pump. Then, swapping in a new generic pump would be a piece of cake.

Best,

John Joseph McVeigh
Butler, Maryland USA

• Good Post
Reactions: prs
   / 4500Z died of fuel starvation. #4  
I have had good luck with cheap aftermarket electric fuel pumps on my diesel mowers. I think the OEM ones for mine (Kubota) were around $180.... Not gonna happen.

• Good Post
Reactions: prs
   / 4500Z died of fuel starvation.
The OE was a Kubota supplied pump. The aftermarket I used appears to be identical and same pump for gasoline or diesel.

prs