Loader 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
The rear hydraulics work great -- a 50 gallon tank of liquid will stay up forever but the 430 bucket on the FEL will bleed down without anything in it within 5 minutes and while the FEL will normally bleed down in a few hours, it now droops in 30 minutes. With a bucket full of crusher run and using the joy stick to tilt it up, it will often drop down a half foot (bucket AND FEL).

Before having the dealer pick up what has been an outstandingly dependable tractor for the past 8+ years, I am curious what some of you might think the problem could be -- perhaps the selector valve? [I am always a little paranoid about having anyone work on cars, tractors, mowers, etc. unless I have an idea ahead of time as to the problem -- don't want a dealer explain that the framus on the muffler bearing needed replacing at only $4000;-) ]

Selector valve or ??? (IF valving, can it be rebuilt or does it need to be replaced or should it be replaced?)

Thanks,

MikeSp

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #2  
Had the same problem on my 430. It turned out to be a leak in the FEL itself. Dealer fixed for no charge since it was still under warranty at the time.

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #3  
could there be an internal leak in your cylinders? My neighbor's 4100 w/410 FEL had the same problem

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #4  
Not an uncommon problem...99% of the time the cylinders need to be rebuilt. Kits are about $30 for each one and it's pretty easy to do-lots of threads on it.

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down
could there be an internal leak in your cylinders? My neighbor's 4100 w/410 FEL had the same problem

Could it be the bucket cylinders if they show absolutely no signs of leaking ny hydraulic fluid?

Thanks,

MikeSp

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #6  
Could it be the bucket cylinders if they show absolutely no signs of leaking ny hydraulic fluid?

Thanks,

MikeSp

Yes, that was my experience.

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #7  

Thanks,

MikeSp

Yes, that was my experience.

Yes, they leak internally. The fluid bypasses the piston seals and allows the piston to move.

Here is an easy test:

Raise the bucket up (with some weight in it) and rest it on something (truck tailgate, sawhorses, retaining wall), then shut off tractor, relieve pressure then disconnect the four hoses to the FEL. Now move the tractor so the bucket is in the air and see what happens. If it leaks down the the problem is in one or both cylinders (but you need to rebuild them as a pair anyway so it does not matter).

Again, this is not uncommon...

/ 430 bucket on 4400HST bleeds down #8  
Yes, they leak internally. The fluid bypasses the piston seals and allows the piston to move....

Great post, Kenny!!