4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #1  

hsargent21

Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I have a 4110 and the 4x4 recently started popping. I think the piñon gear is broke but not sure. When driving forward it pops every few feet. However when in reverse it doesn’t pop. Does anyone have any experience replacing/inspecting it? Can you remove the piñon without removing the axle? Please fire away with questions

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #2  
It could be the front diff or one of the front axle bevel gears at the wheels. Be sure to check the u-joints in the frond drive shaft too.

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #4  
Pinion Bearing. In reverse, the ring gear pushes the pinion back, in forward it pulls it in. The pops are probably the ring gear chipping.

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4
Can the pinion gear be pulled without removing the axle?

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #6  
When mine did that years ago it was the bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier had loosened and got damaged. You must remove the differential from the axle housing to repair/replace. I had to buy a complete differential - the metal from the damage ruined the bearings etc.

I paid just shy of $800 for a complete new differential. You have to remove the two outdrives from the axle, then drop the axle housing from the tractor and THOROUGHLY clean the whole housing out to get ALL metal out - I used a couple gallons of paint thinner. If you don't do this good cleaning, you might as well plan on doing it again before too long. And no, you can't remove the diff without dropping the axle housing.

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the information. Will be a fun project

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #8  
I have a 4110 and the 4x4 recently started popping. I think the piñon gear is broke but not sure. When driving forward it pops every few feet. However when in reverse it doesn’t pop. Does anyone have any experience replacing/inspecting it? Can you remove the piñon without removing the axle? Please fire away with questions
my front spider gears made that sound.

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #9  
I got my Iseki Tractor last fall. First time owning a small tractor and it made a popping sound every now and then. I couldn't figure it out and wasn't sure if that was normal until there was a load snap. The load snap was the stub axle in the wheel housing breaking in half. The tractor must have run a lot with no oil in the wheel housings and front axle. All the bearing where dry and no good. Bevel gears in both wheel housing had broken teeth.
Learned to weld, grind and file new teeth on the bevel gears. Learned how to weld together a broken axle. Thank goodness I have a lathe to turn the axle on.
So if there is a popping or snapping sound from the front end it is well worth your time to take things apart and see what is wrong. It very well could save you hundreds of dollars and many many hours of labor.

/ 4110 Front Axle Popping when in 4x4 #10  
I have had to replace the coupler in the driveshaft before. The spline there is pretty weak on my 2550 and over time it wore the spline and it would jump.