4100 Engine Rebuild Issue with Injection Pump Gear

/ 4100 Engine Rebuild Issue with Injection Pump Gear #1  

rdrexler

Tractor
Yanmar 330D FEL, Ford 1710 FEL, JD 4300 FEL, JD 301A FEL, JD 2010W TLB, Ford 3400 TBL, Ford 4500 TLB, Massey MF255
My Dad and I bought a 2001 4100 with an engine knock. The engine is a Yanmar 3TNE74-JK2. We have rebuilt many diesel tractor engines, so we did not anticipate any issues. The problem we have after the rebuild is that it runs terrible and is spewing a bunch of gray/white smoke. After checking the easy things (like leaking injectors and improperly adjusted rockers) we believe this to be a timing issue so we disassembled the front of the engine to check the timing.

We verified that the timing marks on all three gears line up as they should per the repair manual however we noticed that the injection pump gear does not match that in the repair manual. The injection pump gear in the engine has four slotted holes that permit quite a bit of potential timing adjustment for the injection pump. The repair manual does not show this type of gear and there is no mention of how to go properly set the timing.

I am probably not explaining this clearly, so I attached some pictures (hopefully I attached them correctly). The first picture shows the injection pump gear. The white lines were put on the gear during the initial disassembly. The second picture shows the plate behind the gear that is attached to the pump cam shaft. The third picture is from the repair manual which is showing a different injection pump gear altogether. With the gear in place there is probably a 5-to-10-degree possible adjustment.

I have looked through the entire repair manual and I cannot find any mention of how to properly align this gear. I have looked at jdparts online and I cannot find anything that resembles what we have. I did notice that the model of the engine in the repair manual is 3TNE74-JK1 (or 3TNE74-JKI). The white paint line is not really precise - I can align the white paint line again and put it together to try again but I would prefer to do something a bit more precise.

Any idea on how to set this gear so the injector timing is correct? Is there a way to adjust the injector timing externally without having to tear apart the entire front of the engine. We have had this engine apart three times and it is getting a bit frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ron

Attachments

• JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 1.jpg
    JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 1.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 105
  • JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 2.jpg
    JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 2.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 96
  • JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 3.jpg
    JD4100 Injection Pump Gear Picture 3.jpg