4-wheel drive lever corroded

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded #1  

Clayak

Tractor
Emax 22s
Last fall I left my 5-6 year old Mahindra EMax 22s outside covered with a plastic tarp. It rained a lot during the fall. At some point corrosion developed between the High/Low range rod and its 'pivoting' 4-wheel drive selector lever. I've used 3 types of supposedly quality types of corrosion releasing oils over the last 4 months and gently beat on it with a hammer. I researched additional options.
Attached is a labeled picture of the area. Hopefully you can open it to see the area and my added comments. I disconnected/removed the rod that connects the 4-wheel drive selector lever to the 'up and down' selector so I can run it on the road without 4-wheel drive. Sorry about the poor use of technical terms.
The one recommended option I have not tried is a propane heat device which I have. I'm fearful the high temperature will damage something. Any comments? I can surround the area with old wet towels and I have fire extinguishers available. Anything I should be aware of?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Corroded Pivot Point.png
    Corroded Pivot Point.png
    5 MB · Views: 93
   / 4-wheel drive lever corroded #2  
Maybe try some acetone and ATF mixed 50%. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded #3  
ATF/acetone loosened up a very stuck PTO shaft for me. The challenge in your situation is to figure out how to get it to soak into that assembly instead of running off the outside and not really getting to the stuck shaft.

Another thing you can try after letting the assembly soak is to vibrate that assembly with an air hammer. Just don't deform anything. A light, steady repeated tap.....helps the ATF/acetone to penetrate deeper into the rust to break it up.
Be patient. Let the ATF/acetone mix do the job.

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded #5  
I’ve had pretty good luck on rusty things with PB Blaster - is that one that you’ve tried? Just need to let it soak for a day or so.

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded #6  
Leaving ANY tractor outside is inviting issues, not just from corrosion but from vermin as well.
Even barn storing can attract rodents. I open my hood on my truck and my tractor when they are stored in the barn. Kind of denies them the cover and darkness they are looking for

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded #8  
Keep soaking it in penetrating fluid and trying to work it back and forth. After a few days of that, apply heat. Propane torch will not hurt it.

/ 4-wheel drive lever corroded
It's been months but finally the corroded parts have separated. Been using different penetrating fluids for a couple of months without good results. Finally put the propane torch to it. I was concerned about fire so I had a fire extinguisher immediately available. Took about 10 minutes of gradually increasing heat (I being the cautious type) and a hammer continuously beating on the handle. Finally I noticed it moving. Put some penetrating fluid on the corroded area and continued to hammer on the handle back and forth. It freed gradually. Used a small ax as a wedge/fulcrum to force the piece off the length of the rod end. Used brass brushes from my gun cleaning kits to clean the inside of encircling part and emery sanding paper on the rpd. I covered all with lithium grease to prevent recurrence All is working well now. Thanks to all for the suggestions. One suggestion, "Propane torch will not hurt it," helped/reassured me particularly. Thanks to all again..

Last edited: