4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog....

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #11  
MTV,
By the sounds you have learn from the old way....trial but not so much error,just reflect back on how much knowledge you have learn,for thats a part of owning a tractor.

Ahhh you didn't mention how your wife felt towards the B6100.

Those kinda of deals are out there but far and few between,also congratulation on your new purchase.

The best to you and your wife,and may you have many hours of tractor fun.

Thomas..NH

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #12  
I bought a used 8N 7 years ago. Brushhogged several acres, drug a lot of trees, graded a 1/4 mile drive, etc. Only problems I ever really had with it were caused by me, like running a stick through the radiator. I have now upgraded to a new L3710 and love it. Like you just didn't have the cash early on. The 8N is now selling for more than I paid for it so they are holding their value as well as the new ones. One of the nice things about the 8N is that they are so simple they are easy to work on. Many of the parts are available through car parts dealers significantly cheaper than from the tractor store. The 8N will definitely meet your needs until you can find/buy a new Kubota.

Glenn

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #13  
Glen, which L3710 did you get, HST or GST, and why?

Mark

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #14  
I purchased an Allis Chalmers D15 4 years ago. Gave $3000 for tractor with an old trip bucket loader. Have used the tractor to brushhog about 20 acres a year, with box blade level building sites, scoop creek gravel for a filling holes, even to lift roof trusses. Have baled approximately 20 acres of hay last year and will use it for same this year. Have replaced seals in loader cylinders, battery, power steering hose, and a steering arm in 4 years. Sure it doesn't have HST and all the hydraulics I would like to have but for the cost it has been a great tractor.

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #15  
I'll break from the rank and file here. I bought a MF 35 plain jane tractor to maintain field edges, fencelines, and a small woods - totaling 55 acres. All I needed was a tractor, nothing more. For less than the first six months of payments on a new orange/blue/yellow/red/purple/green machine I have a tractor, and money left over to do the other things I want/need to do on my ground.
Obviously my tractor has greater limitations than a shiny new machine with a loader, 4 wheel drive, ROPS, etc. I use my head (the best I can) and work within those limitations. It has served me well for three years, and GOD willing, another twenty.

Happy and SAFE tractoring.

Raptor.

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #16  
I had an old Massey 245. It didn't come with a ROPS and they had no program to add one. I used it for 5 years or so, but believe the ROPS is really worthwhile to retrofit on older tractors. Just wish all manufacturers would make them available at a more reasonable cost (closer to their cost).

/ 4-5 acres, need tractor, bushhog.... #17  
I did the opposite. I sunk the money into my B8200HST for a solid work tractor on my 5 acres. It's worth very bit I've put into it and implements.

Now, I have just bought my Farmall A. It's restored and pretty. But, I got it to do simple tasks and run in parades and such.It IS a very capable tractor. But, the attachments for what I want to do are limited. Plus, I don't want to scratch up the fresh paint.

At the time I got my Kubota, I wanted to save money and buy a older tractor, maybe something that I could clean up and rebuild. It was worth it to spend the money! It hurt at the time; it's a big chunk of change.

Oh, I want to add a Cub to my collction too. Course that will haave to wait a little while I get some doodads for the "A"/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif