3550 Hp upgrades?

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #1  

powerstrokedogg

Tractor
3550 Mahindra
Hello, I have been reading the forums here for a LONG time and have never needed to post a question. I can usually find somebody that already asked it on here.

I have a 3550 that is almost out of warranty and I'm looking to reprogram the ECM. This tractor is great but because they were able to meet tier 4 emissions without the use of a DPF means that the engine is severely retarded. I'm not looking to turn this thing into a pulling tractor, but i want to improve the low end characteristics. With the way these are programed, you can lug them right down and stall them out without even a faint puff of smoke. I'm a heavy equipment/heavy truck mechanic of 15 years and I know that someone out there has a way to "fix" these emissions compliant engines on just about any piece of equipment. But i have not had any luck with my own tractor.

By the way, this is an excellent forum and im glad to finally be a part of it!

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #2  
lol your tractor is retarded ... I would be curious to know as well... I would assuming you would need a ''chip'' to unlock the computer to changes parameter's.

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #3  
Probably easiest way is to go to an aftermarket ecu. Megasquirt is one of the most popular

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #4  
You are going to have to find someone who has knowledge of these engines and the parameters. Fuel tables, timing, injection pulse width all the sensors. Im assuming that someone is going to be almost impossible to come by unless you want to pay a custom tuner and then be the guinea pig for the experiment. Even some of the most popular engines that tuning is readily available for, take multiple tunes to get it right when a custom tune is needed.

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #5  
You are going to have to find someone who has knowledge of these engines and the parameters. Fuel tables, timing, injection pulse width all the sensors. Im assuming that someone is going to be almost impossible to come by unless you want to pay a custom tuner and then be the guinea pig for the experiment. Even some of the most popular engines that tuning is readily available for, take multiple tunes to get it right when a custom tune is needed.
These MCRD engines run a Bosch common rail system. Just like the Jetta TDI, ford power stroke and Chevy Duramax. I'm sure there is a lot of proprietary programming that would need to be figured out to communicate with the ECU but after that it would be similar to all the other modern common rail diesels. The actual tune would likely be the easy part. Talking with the ECU and deciphering the binary would be the tough part. Also not a lot of money in tuning a 50HP tractor to make 70hp, since a majority of work you do with a tractor is mostly related to weight, traction, hydraulic flow and pressure. Gaining up is really only going to get you more PTO capability.

/ 3550 Hp upgrades? #6  
Going to a megasquirt eliminates all that interfacing with the existing computer