3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series #1  

Cub gt 2544=best

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 Cub Cadet GT 2544
What is the difference between the old 2000, 2500, and 3000 series tractors vs the new 2000 series/ the XT3 series of tractors?

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series #2  
Sheet metal, time and advertising.

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series #3  
To me it’s basically the same tractor just an updated version.

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series #4  
The XT3 line is much better built and designed than the older 2000-3000 models in my opinion. My 2004 3235 with 54 inch fabricated deck had hydraulic power steering. Every time I mowed a strip across my 1 acre yard the steering wheel would be in a different position. It blew a head gasket at 200+ hours and I found some of the head bolts were barely more than finger tight. The ground following deck wore out wheels and linkage and had baffles that caught on tree roots and got ripped out. I had to remove and clean the 260 pound deck at least once/season. The vacuum PTO engagement went bad and failed to disengage the blade. The hydraulic control valve started leaking and cost $600 for dealer replacement. I had to replace the tie rod end joints several times as they would wear and the tie rod would fall to the ground. The gas tank fuel gage sender went bad twice. The final nail in the coffin was the front engine seal blew and I lost 1 quart of oil in each 1-1/2 mowing session. The only outstanding thing was the original battery lasted 11 years. My 2015 XT3-GSX has large tie rod ends and no baffles under the 54 inch fabricated deck to catch on the roots in my very rough yard. I haven't removed the deck yet for cleaning and at 235 hours it does not use any oil. I switched to full synthetic and the front seal started leaking badly but stopped when I switched back to straight 30W regular oil. The electric power steering is very tight and you can mow a straight line with no play in the wheel. My only complaint is the triple bagger chute is kind of a pain to mount on the deck. I was a little leary of the plastic hood but it hasn't given any problems.

Bob B.

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series #5  
I have a 2006 GT2544 with 480 hours on the clock, just did partial rebuild of stamped 44" deck which had been chewing belts too often. Now healthy again, and the tractor itself has never had any issues, but I use, NOT abuse it, in a hilly 2 acres in East TN. I just purchased a 'new' 2016 XT-3 with 5 hours on the meter from a worthless dealer in Lowell, Indiana and had to have my local Cub dealer do a proper deck set-up and alingment on the new 48" fabricated deck and now appears to be just fine. Nice tip from another forum: Never engage the PTO switch until engine thouroughly warm, and also set 'choke' VERY slightly 'on' (just starting to hear engine 'sputter')prior to hitting the PTO switch. I've tried this several times now in colder Nov/Dec temps, and works like a charm. Lastly, moment of PTO 'engage' is a surge on the battery; battery may be 'strong' enough to start/run tractor but NOT power the PTO on command. You'll know if this happens because the engine will STOP!

/ 3000 and 2500/old 2000 series vs XT3 GS, GSE, GSX/ new 2000 series
I have a 2006 GT2544 with 480 hours on the clock, just did partial rebuild of stamped 44" deck which had been chewing belts too often. Now healthy again, and the tractor itself has never had any issues, but I use, NOT abuse it, in a hilly 2 acres in East TN. I just purchased a 'new' 2016 XT-3 with 5 hours on the meter from a worthless dealer in Lowell, Indiana and had to have my local Cub dealer do a proper deck set-up and alingment on the new 48" fabricated deck and now appears to be just fine. Nice tip from another forum: Never engage the PTO switch until engine thouroughly warm, and also set 'choke' VERY slightly 'on' (just starting to hear engine 'sputter')prior to hitting the PTO switch. I've tried this several times now in colder Nov/Dec temps, and works like a charm. Lastly, moment of PTO 'engage' is a surge on the battery; battery may be 'strong' enough to start/run tractor but NOT power the PTO on command. You'll know if this happens because the engine will STOP!

Welcome to TractorByNet!

I was just curious to see what people had to say. I have had my 2007 GT 2544 for 11 years now. It’s a fantastic machine. Just about 20 hours away from 300. Runs and mows great super well built. Always use non ethanol fuel (after what happened with fuel stabilizer and ethanol fuel). Matinence is always done on time. Putting a 48 inch deck on it right now actually. Now about your XT3, why did you purchase the machine? Do you prefer it over the 2544?