25 hp Kohler Courage no crank

/ 25 hp Kohler Courage no crank #1  

JAMES NICHOLSON

Tractor
cub super lt1550,ford lgt 100,simplicity,wheel horse, murry
Hopefully this will help someone with the same problem I had. I had originally posted this on [ Only Cub Cadets]. This is an update on the Courage 25 HP SV730 engine. After another couple years of fighting the engine to get it started I finally burnt the starter. Previously I had taken the starter and had it checked and all was good. In the meantime I had helped a neighbor remove a blown Generac 27 hp engine and install a new Vangard in his Dixie Chopper. He didn't want the old engine so I took it for various exterrnal parts one of which was the starter. It seemed a better built starter than the original Kohler plus it was a solenoid activated bendix. I did some serious comparisons and found the Generac starter to be almost a direct replacement for the Courage starter. The ring gear tooth pattern was exactly the same on both engines. The pinion depth was exactly the same.The only minor difference was the mounting bolt bosses were a little bit narrower on the Generac starter. This was fixed by elongating the holes a little bit. I had to run a new battery cable from the starter to the hot post on the battery and the original cable became the pull in wire. It has worked fantastic. I think the Generac starter is a heavier built unit, Part # 10455515. I'm sharing this in case anyone is interested and may have the same problem with the 25 HP Courage that I did. My Kohler courage now has 800 hrs on it. thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpg

/ 25 hp Kohler Courage no crank
This starter is a much stronger starter than the courage starter.

/ 25 hp Kohler Courage no crank #4  
Hopefully this will help someone with the same problem I had. I had originally posted this on [ Only Cub Cadets]. This is an update on the Courage 25 HP SV730 engine. After another couple years of fighting the engine to get it started I finally burnt the starter. Previously I had taken the starter and had it checked and all was good. In the meantime I had helped a neighbor remove a blown Generac 27 hp engine and install a new Vangard in his Dixie Chopper. He didn't want the old engine so I took it for various exterrnal parts one of which was the starter. It seemed a better built starter than the original Kohler plus it was a solenoid activated bendix. I did some serious comparisons and found the Generac starter to be almost a direct replacement for the Courage starter. The ring gear tooth pattern was exactly the same on both engines. The pinion depth was exactly the same.The only minor difference was the mounting bolt bosses were a little bit narrower on the Generac starter. This was fixed by elongating the holes a little bit. I had to run a new battery cable from the starter to the hot post on the battery and the original cable became the pull in wire. It has worked fantastic. I think the Generac starter is a heavier built unit, Part # 10455515. I'm sharing this in case anyone is interested and may have the same problem with the 25 HP Courage that I did. My Kohler courage now has 800 hrs on it.View attachment 650032View attachment 650033

Will this starter fit a Command engine 750 cc lay down 26 hp V twin ?
Pete...
Hudson Valley , N.Y.