2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #1  

OLV1071571

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3540 PST
Hey Everyone,

I have been having this issue for several months. Allow me to explain the problem and what I have attempted and I hope someone has a good fix. :)

Problem:
  1. Tractor starts easily as normal (with 2-3 seconds of cranking).
  2. Runs for about 5 seconds then dies.
  3. I then have to crank it 2 or 3 times with each time holding the key for about 4 or 5 seconds. Usually on the 3rd time it will turn over and run fine.
  4. The tractor never dies after the subsequent start. Only on the first one. It has never died while operating.

Attempted solutions:
  1. I have changed the battery, both pre and main fuel filters, air filters, oil and oil filter.
  2. I have tried to start it with and without the fuel cap on and slightly loose. The rubber under the fuel cap is cracked though.
  3. I have attempted to shoot compressed air through the fuel lines thinking there is debris or something clogging the lines.

I can't think of anything else other than what others have said about the fuel shutoff solenoid. But the Mahindra parts catalog doesn't show one on my model. Just the high pressure pump.

I would appreciate any insight and let me know if you need more clarity. Thanks for the help!

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #2  
You changed fuel filters, which is a good first step. I could be wrong, but this sounds to me like a little bit of air in the fuel system. You would have a little fuel in the high pressure pump which would allow it to start, but then it will suck in air and lose high pressure and die. It sounds pretty similar to what happens to mine when I let it run out of fuel, which I try not to do but has happened a couple times.

Does it seem to matter how long the tractor has been sitting? I.E. is it more of a problem after a few days? Or if you restart it after an hour of sitting do you get the same symptoms?

Have you tried using the primer to see if it feels soft? If it's sucking in air, you will notice it won't firm up near as quickly as it will when it's all diesel in the lines.

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies
You changed fuel filters, which is a good first step. I could be wrong, but this sounds to me like a little bit of air in the fuel system. You would have a little fuel in the high pressure pump which would allow it to start, but then it will suck in air and lose high pressure and die. It sounds pretty similar to what happens to mine when I let it run out of fuel, which I try not to do but has happened a couple times.

Does it seem to matter how long the tractor has been sitting? I.E. is it more of a problem after a few days? Or if you restart it after an hour of sitting do you get the same symptoms?

Have you tried using the primer to see if it feels soft? If it's sucking in air, you will notice it won't firm up near as quickly as it will when it's all diesel in the lines.

Thank you for the reply. As you can tell the tractor sits more than I use it considering 300hrs in 5 years. It only dies on the initial startup. If I run the tractor for 10 min or 1 hr, kill it, then come back 30 min later it fires right up and keeps running.

I have checked the primer and even tried to pump it before I start until its firm. But that didn't seem to help.

How could I know if its sucking air? What lines could I check?

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #4  
There was a problem I was chasing that turned out to be the ignition switch, but I was convinced for a little bit that it was fuel related. I checked the lines by removing the rear tire on the tank side, unbolting the tank and sliding it out sideways, then disconnecting the lines at the tank and pressurizing with low pressure air (5-10 psi). If you combine that with some soapy water you can spray on the connections and trace the whole system. There was one line right at the tank that seemed a little suspect to me with a cheap hose clamp. If it's leaking there I think you'd be unlikely to see it. The other spot you might be unlikely to see would be the connections right around the upper filter. The other joints I would expect to see some weeping fuel if there's an issue.

This is of course just based on a hunch. I may be wrong that it's pulling in air, but removing the tire and the tank is pretty easy overall, provided the tire isn't full of liquid.

When you are using the primer, if you crank some does it get soft again? Or does it stay pretty firm? I will try pumping on mine to see how many pumps before it gets firm.

Appreciate the insight and willingness to help. My tires are loaded so to take them off would be a major pain. I will try the pump in a little while and see what happens.

Also do our models have the shutoff solenoid?

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #6  
Appreciate the insight and willingness to help. My tires are loaded so to take them off would be a major pain. I will try the pump in a little while and see what happens.

Also do our models have the shutoff solenoid?
There is a pressure control valve I believe on the common rail. It's not like old school diesels. Based on your symptoms I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with the high pressure side of the system.

I'm assuming no check engine light?

Just went and started it and it almost died but picked back up on its own and ran. I checked the pump before and after it was not firm each time.

No check engine light either.

Also I can't upload the picture as the file size is too large, but what is the part that comes out the right side of the high pressure pump and also has a wire connection to it?

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #8  
Just checked on mine. Second primer pump got pretty firm, could not push it down for a third pump. Last I ran it was about a day ago.

Okay there may be my problem. The question now is why? :)

/ 2017 3540 with 300hrs starts easily then dies #10  
Look under the floor board by your left foot, from the side, on top of the tank you will see the fuel connections to the tank. Look close and see if you can tell if it's weeping there. Beyond that, I'd suggest pulling the tank and pressurizing from that point. It'll be a pain with the tire but with a buddy you could manage it. I did my tires by myself no problem. Just try to always keep it upright and have plenty of space to work.

You might get lucky and that hose clamp might be loose, you might be able to tighten it without removing anything. I replaced mine with a pinch style clamp.

That's where I'd start anyway.