2010 Diesel with intermittent knock....???

/ 2010 Diesel with intermittent knock....??? #1  

webguydave

Tractor
John Deere
Sooo.... I drug home a Deere 2010 diesel - serial RU 36457, (which I think makes it a 1963) yesterday that has a weird problem - there's a heavy, loud knock that comes and goes.

It's sat for a couple of years and took quite a bit to get it to run - finally drained out the old fuel and with new fuel kicked over - sounded really quite nice in the instances when the knock disappeared.

Then owner was present and says it didn't have the knock when he parked it ( and has offered to come help repair, if needed!) so I'm thinking something has stuck - lifter? valve?

It ran on all 4 cylinders - we ran it for a couple minutes. The knock appears to be coming from the front of the engine, not the rear?

Thoughts? I'm thinking I should yank off the valve cover and look at the valve train?

Best
Dave in Esmont, Va

Last edited:
   / 2010 Diesel with intermittent knock....??? #2  
You have my sympathy when it comes to a JD 2010 D. 2010 diesels are more noisy when running than most diesels. I wonder if adding some conditioner to fuel might help the noise. It's possible a valve in injector is sticking.