2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!
Yeah if you don't buy in bulk then the price goes up!

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #22  
I know it's CRAZY why would anyone not do it them self and save.
Some Co-Ops furnish for free or rent large trailer/distributors for this, but they are really huge and require a large tractor to move them on anything other than level ground. Most folks don't have the equipment to bring the lime from the seller's bulk storage area and if in bags, it is more expensive and still requires a distributor of some kind. Does everyone have a fertilizer distributor? Perhaps not. I would think that $50 per acre would be max charge for contractor to transport and spread this plus the cost of lime or fertilizer.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #23  
Just got off of the phone with the Co op it would cost over a grand for 6 tons!! . I'm not looking to spend that much now so he told me I could put down 2 tons this year 2 tons next and so on to raise the pH level.
I assume that is 6 tons per acre and you have multiple acres which makes the total to $1000 and not that total for just 6 tons of lime.

I assume that is 6 tons per acre and you have multiple acres which makes the total to $1000 and not that total for just 6 tons of lime.
I have a field next to my house that's less then 1 acre. The 6 tons is all for this field. It needs all 6 tons per acre.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #25  
According to several university ag departments, best time to apply lime is around November. It takes about 6 months to permeate into the soil. This makes it available just in time for the grass as it sprouts in the spring. It is most important to have your soil tested so that you apply any chemicals, lime or fertilizer, at the correct rates. Otherwise you may be doing more harm than good and throwing away money.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #26  
We have about 20 acres that were a mix of pine and hardwood until this year. Most of it was pine. I will have hundreds of tons of slash piled up to burn. The ash will be spread around the fields and harrowed in. That should sweeten the soil significantly...I'll probably still need some lime afterwards but it will definitely help it.

This year I liked the field with the 80 lime that's powder next time I lime the field I will buy a drop spreader. Spreading with a shovel is not a good way to do it!.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #28  
Check with your County Extension office.

Our local extension just purchased a Lime Buggy for rental use. They are trailers with hoppers which can be filled with an FEL. Buy the lime in bulk and have it delivered to your place and dumped in a pile. Then use your FEL to reload the hopper and spread it yourself. Might be quite a bit cheaper.

Check with your County Extension office.

Our local extension just purchased a Lime Buggy for rental use. They are trailers with hoppers which can be filled with an FEL. Buy the lime in bulk and have it delivered to your place and dumped in a pile. Then use your FEL to reload the hopper and spread it yourself. Might be quite a bit cheaper.
I did in the summer their spreader was to wide not enough room to turn around in my food plot. I'm not going to buy one that's steel but one that has a poly hopper.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #30  
I buy my lime from a elevator... I hook up the buggy to my pu, pull on the scales to be weighed, then over where they load the buggy and back on to the scales to see how much lime I have.

standard.jpg

Including buggy rent, last time I bought lime, 5-1/2 tons of lime cost me, in the $125.00 bracket...

SR