1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #1  

Foxnaround

Tractor
(1975?) Yanmar YM1700, 1952 Ford 8N
I inherited my dad's 8N this year, and one of the last things he asked me to do was get the tractor fixed up and take care of it. I told him I would, so I checked all the fluids and put a new battery in it. The old starter made a crazy loud banging noise. When I took the starter off I was surprised to find little gear which turns the flywheel had broken in half. The missing half is down inside the tractor. I can't see much through the starter hole, and I had no luck fishing around with a magnet. Does anyone know how I can access that area? If I remove the oil pan will I be able to find that gear? Thanks in advance for your advice!

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #2  
Don't remove the oil pan,look immediately behind oil pan where the clutch is. There might be a removable cover for clutch housing.

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #3  
If you're fishing with a magnet on a string it probably won't work as you've learned. You may pull it off if you attach your magnet to a somewhat stiff wire. The piece will not be in the oil pan as the flywheel is outside the oil pan behind the rear seal.

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #4  
I'd just leave it, of course you could fish around a little. Putting stuff wire on a magnet may work. I probably had over a dozen 8n tractors. Right now I'm working on a 58 fordson power major. I fixed a shuttle on a big tractor. Found five shifter forks in bottom of transmission. They weren't from the shuttle I took out, it had all of its forks. 135 HP I'm thinking. It was a big 6 cylinder tractor with a cab and 24 forward speeds.

If you buy a new Bendix, try to buy a black or blued one. Them shiny ones break. I got tired of replacing the shiny ones. Never replaced a Ford one, shop around.

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #5  
Leave it! There are a WORLD of N series tractors out there with starter bendix guts in the housing, plenty of room for em'. If you ever need to replace the clutch or build the engine you can get then out then.

/ 1952 8N starter gear broke off, and fell down inside the housing #6  
You can remove the hood or at least lift it off the dash, remember to remove the gas line from the carb.
and you want near empty gas tank, then take out the bolts around the base of the dash/steering column and push it or rather lay it over forward. this will give you access to the area around the flywheel so you can fish it out. I'm not sure I would leave it, I never did mine but that's your choice. Been a few years since I've done one and 2&9 n's might be different.

David