1440V comments

/ 1440V comments #1  

cannuck

Tractor
M-F 1440
This year I bought a 1440V from my best bud. One of his employees managed to run it without coolant (leak) and it doesn't run so well any more. I am assuming just rings, but what else should I expect has been damaged?

I am in Canada (SK) so where do I get Iseki parts at a decent price (dealer is probably a really bad idea, as they are over priced and under deliver on pretty much anything we have ever bought from them).

This is a tiny tractor and its attachments went along to the replacement tractor, so I need to start from scratch. I will design/build a FEL with parallel arms but what is a realistic target for maximum lifting capacity? Any suggestions on what and why to go with quick release attachment points? Skid steer type or ag?? What is the ag standard??

Sorry to be such a putz, but never worked with anything this small before (it will share yard duties with a D5 and 941). I would like to use it for charging sand and gravel in my 8 yard mixer.

/ 1440V comments #2  
Looks like that's sold as a Massey Ferguson 1440. Tractor data lists a factory 1466 loader looks like 1200lbs to full height and lists dimensions etc. TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 1440 tractor information

Regarding your coolant issue: there is 1 main and 1 potential secondary issue from my view. Primarily I would be worried about overheating and cylinder/internal damage. I would definitely smell the oil if it hasn't already been changed and do a compression check on all cylinders for starters. If the compression is good, I would adjust the valves/change fluids/etc. and run it how it is. If one or more cylinders has low compression compared to the others squirt a little oil in the cylinder(s) and do another compression check to see if the issue is piston cylinder blowby vs a valve or head gasket issue and go from there.

The second potential issue is if the coolant leak was bad enough the employee may have been topping it off with tap water and not coolant. This results in fouling of the radiator/water pump and a bunch of crap accumulating in the block. I would drain everything including the block and pull the upper and lower radiator hoses; then look inside the water pump and radiator to see how bad they are and flush all parts with a hose and see what you get out. I had this exact scenario occur on a secondhand non running tractor at one time.

/ 1440V comments #3  
Check for scoring of cylinder walls in the block and cylinder head warpage.

/ 1440V comments
The second potential issue is if the coolant leak was bad enough the employee may have been topping it off with tap water and not coolant. This results in fouling of the radiator/water pump and a bunch of crap accumulating in the block. I would drain everything including the block and pull the upper and lower radiator hoses; then look inside the water pump and radiator to see how bad they are and flush all parts with a hose and see what you get out. I had this exact scenario occur on a secondhand non running tractor at one time.
Pretty sure they never checked the coolant level....ever. Everything on that farm was being run with no concern for anything but fuel level. People working there were great with the animals (horses) but horrible with mechanical things. Will have a good look for blockage/restriction/crap when it gets its turn inside.

Expect liners to be scored, and of course worried about head warpage but