My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #1  

wolc123

Veteran Member
My history with this tractor goes back to around 1969. I was 5 years old and it was owned by our neighbor across the street. He was fairly well off financially, having the top union job at the largest employer in our town. He didn’t own a lot of land, less than 3 acres, but he went top notch on equipment, to work his 2 acres of garden and vineyard.

He purchased the brand new tractor, plow, and disk from the Ford dealer in town. Back in 1951, that Ford was very expensive, compared similar sized models from the other nearby dealers (IH, and John Deere). Folks had to pay thru the nose for the convenience of the patented three point hitch that it offered, compared to the lame setups offered by the competition.

My grandad, who represented the 4th generation of our family to own our farm, was not as well off financially. He had settled for the cheapest of the “big three”, a John Deere model M, as the first tractor on his 40 acres. That replaced a team of horses, the year before our rich neighbor got his Ford.

Skipping ahead to 1969, my dad had gotten married, bought a house and a few acres across the street from the rich guy, and raised his family there. I was the oldest of 4 kids. To help feed us, he put in a large garden, maybe a half acre in size.

That was too big for the little rototiller on his 8 HP Bolens lawn tractor, so he went and got grandpas M from the farm which was about 5 miles away, with its mounted 2 bottom plow. Trouble started when he attempted to rototill that rough plowed ground. The little front wheels of the Bolens got hung up in the furrows. Grandpa had only a drag type disk, and we had no way of transporting that over 5 miles of roads.

Reluctantly, dad walked across the street and borrowed the rich guy’s Ford 8n. That’s where I saw it for first time. Still gleaming with its factory paint, having always been stored inside and having less than 400 hours on it. It made very short work of our little garden, with its 6.5 ft 3-point disk.

Growing up, I hung out with that rich guy a lot. I’d catch snapping turtles for him to make soup from, and I’d shoot squirrels out of his English walnut trees. He passed away when I was in my twenties and his widow gave me a good deal on the tractor and equipment, back in the late 1980’s.

By that time, I had bought the family farm, and I needed a tractor of my own. My dad had taken the John Deere M, and moved it off to my mom’s parents larger farm, about 20 miles away.

The 8n had 1200 hours on it when I bought it, and I paid $ 1200 for it, the plow, disk, and 3-point 2 section drag. Shortly after I put it to “real work”, it needed a valve job as those originals really weren’t up to operation with unleaded gas.

I still have that tractor, and still enjoy using it for many tasks. There’s none I’d rather have for use on firewood with a carryall, or on my two row corn planter. The funnest thing to do with it is plowing though, and I just knocked off three acres with it yesterday.

It pulls that 2x12 plow better than it ever did, since one of the rear rims rusted thru and all the calcium leaked out (3) winters ago. It used to always pull a little to one side, taking lots of brake use to keep it straight. That was a waste of gasoline and needless wear on brake pads.

Traction is better on the furrow side, where the down draft is greater. Lightening the weight, by loosing the ballast on that side, makes for a more even pull force. That keeps the tractor and the furrows straight. While that works great now on the plow, it hurts me on the two row cultivator, and I’ve had to move that operation to one of my other “modern” tractors, which had both rear tires ballasted.

IMG_4371.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

Last edited:
   / My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #2  
Nice looking tractor and history.
I've never owned an older Ford, but cut my teeth on a 9n (or 2n ?) working on a horse farm at 9 years old or so.

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #3  
Those 8n’s were work horses, we had two on my Dad’s & partner’s farm
Does yours have the Sherman hi-lo transmission?

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #4  
Nice to see that ole Dearborn Economy plow at work. It's great that you have the full history on your 8N. Best of luck with it!

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n
Those 8n’s were work horses, we had two on my Dad’s & partner’s farm
Does yours have the Sherman hi-lo transmission?
No, it’s got the stock 4 forward and one reverse. The reverse ratio is about the same as third gear forward. That is perfect for pushing snow backwards with a blade, but two fast for scooping in reverse with a pond scoop.

I did use one of those in forward with it, to dig a 1/4 acre pond, and that’s what burned out the original “non hardened” valves.

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #6  
I have the invoice for my '52. You can see what an 8N, 2-14 plow, rigid shank cultivator, and tandem disc harrow cost in '52.

Attachments

• Original invoice for 8N475798.jpg
    Original invoice for 8N475798.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 44
   / My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #7  
Those 8ns are kind of the original compact tractor. In my opinion the transmission gears were"

1 Too Fast
2 Very Fast
3 Way Too Fast
4 WTF!

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n
I have the invoice for my '52. You can see what an 8N, 2-14 plow, rigid shank cultivator, and tandem disc harrow cost in '52.
I’ve got mine from the 51 also, with almost the exact same implements. I’m not sure exactly where it is right now though. I think the tractor alone was around $ 1200, which matches what I paid for the whole package about 40 years later, when it had 1200 hours on it.

Those 8ns are kind of the original compact tractor. In my opinion the transmission gears were"

1 Too Fast
2 Very Fast
3 Way Too Fast
4 WTF!

I like the gear speed ranges. 2nd is perfect for plowing with the 2x12 in good soil conditions, especially now that I let the ballast out of the furrow side rear tire. It will easily knock out an acre per hour. 1st is better when the ground is a little too hard and dry.

4th is just right for road travel, and 3rd is good for travel on farm lanes. Reverse is just right for pushing snow backwards with a blade. I usually run 1st or 2nd with the two row corn planter, and almost always 2nd with an 8 ft pull type disk or 6 ft two section drag.

I used it on a bush hog for as couple years, and it wasn’t so hot at that. The lack of live pto was easily remedied by adding a $70 over-running coupler, but the lack of live hydraulics was painful. Heck, even our old John Deere M had that.

It’s been over 20 years since I had the pto shaft cover off of my 8n. My next bush-hog tractor was Ford 2000, and the live hydraulics and pto and power steering made it way better for that job. Certainly, it was no better at plowing though.

Speaking of plowing, I did suffer a minor breakdown on Saturday. I’m not sure when it happened, but I noticed it when I was putting the plow away. The fork broke on the end of the left lower link support.

I wasn’t sure if I could fix it because I thought it could be cast iron. It must be cast steel or ductile iron because that 75 year old part welded up real nice. The repair took me less than 15 minutes.

I must have taken a turn too fast in 2nd gear with the plow. Years ago, I broke the original lower link on that side doing that. The one on there now came off of my Ford 2000. It was a little bent and I got a new Ford part for that one. The cheap aftermarket ones they sell at TSC are garbage.

I straightened the original bent one out on a press and use it still on my 8n. That’s a part that stayed the same thru many model changes.

My favorite thing about the 8n is how easy it is to put implements on and off of it. It almost seems like every subsequent “improvement” in 3 point hitch tractors has actually been a step backwards.

That “back-stepping” started in 1953 with the Jubilee model. Even that’s significantly heavier and harder to switch implements on. It don’t get no better than the 1951 and 52 8n’s, as far as that job goes. They were also a little better on fuel.
IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #9  
You can make sweeping turns with ground-engaging implements, but sharp turns with the implement in the ground will break things on Ford Ns. Ford beefed up the upper lift arms with my model but I still lift plows, cultivators and disc harrows when making turns.

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #10  
Gotta love the 8n. When I bought one I didn't think I would use it much but after having it a couple years I could not imagine my farm without it. I have a 6ft pull behind brush hog and it's my favorite mowing setup. I use it to tear up ground, get up hay and ask so much of it and it keeps going. You have a good looking tractor. I like the look of a working tractor and not a parade queen. If you look in the back of the picture with cultipacker to the right you can see my cow in mid head ram lol.
IMG_20240502_203406970.jpg
IMG_20240502_203431189.jpg
IMG_20231003_183440896.jpg
IMG_20230322_172403816_HDR.jpg